Facebook campaign launched over council homes fund 'betrayal' - 24.07.09
People angered by cuts in a Government programme to refurbish and repair social housing are urged to join a new Facebook campaign.
Sutton Council's Deputy Leader, Cllr Ruth Dombey, has launched a page called 'Give us back our decent homes money!' on the social networking site.
She is calling on residents in Sutton and across the country to join demands that the Government honours its promises of millions of pounds of funding to bring social housing up to Decent Homes standards.
Sutton was set to receive £112m to pay for the replacement of antiquated box bathrooms on the St Helier estate, increased energy efficiency with the installation of new double glazed windows, and insulation and upgrading tower blocks such as Chaucer House.
On a number of occasions, including as recently as last month, the Government said that the borough would get the money if Sutton Housing Partnership passed an inspection in the autumn.
Now the money will be redirected and used to build affordable homes elsewhere under a new policy announced by Gordon Brown.
Sutton and other affected councils are joining forces with the Local Government Association and others to lobby the Housing Minister, John Healey and call for a rethink.
Cllr Colin Stears, Executive Member for Housing on Sutton Council, said:
"It's a betrayal of trust and we will not let this money go without a fight.
"We want our communities to show how let down they feel and how badly they will be affected by joining with us through the Facebook campaign."
To join campaign visit www.facebook.com and search 'Give us back our decent homes money.'
Last updated: Friday, 24 July 2009