Changes in circumstances for benefits

The law says you must tell us if there is any change to the information we have used to decide your entitlement to housing benefit and/or council tax reduction (CTR).

To tell us about a change in circumstances please use our online reporting tool. You can only use this service if we hold your current email address.

If you are a joint tenant with someone other than your partner, please use this online form.

Report a change in circumstances here

You must tell us as soon as the change happens, even if you have only just claimed, or you have already told another organisation like Jobcentre Plus, the Pension Service or your landlord.

You can use the benefit calculator to see how a change may affect your housing benefits or council tax reduction.

The amount of housing benefit and/or council tax reduction you receive depends on your circumstances. If you take longer than one month to tell us about a change, you may not get what you are entitled to or you may be paid too much and have to pay it back. You could even face criminal charges for fraud.

You must tell us if something changes for you, your partner or those living with you, for example if:

  • you move address or change your tenancy
  • anyone moves in or out of your home
  • wages, benefits or any other incomes change
  • savings, assets, property or capital change
  • the rent or your landlord changes
  • starting or stopping work
  • anyone has a baby
  • anyone becomes a student or leaves education
  • anyone goes into hospital, a nursing home or prison
  • anyone goes away temporarily e.g. leaving the country
  • anyone receives a Home Office decision regarding their immigration status

Please note: this is not a full list. If you are not sure whether the change affects your benefits – tell us anyway. It is better to be sure.