Changes in circumstances for benefits

This can make things easier if you start a job or increase your hours/earnings (if you are already working). It means your housing benefit and council tax reduction may be paid at your old rate for up to four weeks.

You may be entitled to an Extended Payment if:

  • you or your partner start employment, self-employment or increase your hours or earnings and
  • this is expected to last at least 5 weeks and
  • you or your partner have been getting Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance (or any combination) for at least 26 weeks before the change.

You do not need to claim an Extended Payment, but you must tell us about starting work and any changes to hours or income by using our online change of circumstances form.