If you contact us with concerns or allegations about a child or young person, we have a duty to look into your concerns. To find out how to contact us please see the section Tell us if you’re concerned about a child.

When it has been assessed that the child or young person may be in need of protection, a social worker will be allocated to undertake a further assessment.

You and the child or young person will be seen by the social worker. In some circumstances, this interview will be undertaken jointly with police.

In order to gain a clear picture of the child or young person's needs, the social worker will seek your consent to speak to other professionals - eg school, GP and health visitor.

All this information will be recorded in the assessment, which will be shared with you and your comments noted. You will receive a copy of the assessment report.