£150 Council Tax energy rebate

Both the main and discretionary schemes are now closed to new applications as the Council has to make the last payments by 30 November 2022.

The UK government has announced a one-off Energy payment of £150 for people who pay Council Tax in bands A to D

The Council has now completed making payments to eligible customers under the main scheme and applications for this can no longer be accepted.

Discretionary Fund (now closed)

The government has provided additional funding to local authorities, known as the Discretionary Fund to:

  • support households who are not eligible for the £150.00 Council Tax energy rebate, or
  • provide carefully targeted 'top-up' payments to the most vulnerable households in bands A-D.

Due to high demand, only one application per household.  

This is not a crisis payment and there may be a delay in issuing funds. Check if you’re eligible for the crisis loans and grant if you are in urgent financial need.

Check if you're eligible for the discretionary fund

A one-off payment of £150.00 is available if you:

  • currently receive Council Tax Reduction (CTR) and live in bands E - H. 
  • live in a student-only household (exempt from paying Council Tax), in bands E – H.
  • successfully applied for and were awarded Council Tax Reduction (CTR) during April 2022.
  • currently receive a Class U (Severe Mental Impairment) exemption and live in bands E - H.

A one-off payment of £25.00 is also available to households living in bands A - D in receipt of Council Tax Reduction (CTR). This is in addition to the £150.00 you received through the standard scheme.

How to apply

You’ll receive your payment from the fund shortly if you are eligible and pay by direct debit. If you pay Council Tax another way, we will invite you to register for the payment by either email, SMS (text) or a letter with an access code.

If you have received your email, SMS (text) or letter with an access code, then you can apply.

Other available support 


Council Tax hardship fund

If you're claiming Council Tax Reduction and you are experiencing exceptional hardship, you can apply to the Council’s Hardship Fund. 

Apply for the Council Tax Hardship Fund Scheme

Household Support Fund payment 

If you are facing hardship, you can get help with your essential household costs by registering your interest in the Household Support Fund.

You can get help with food, fuel, utility bills & winter essentials.

Register for the Household Support Fund payment