What type of parking restrictions are being considered?

There are a range of different parking restrictions that can be implemented to help solve parking issues on your street.

The most common are:

  • Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs) - permit required, operational hours enforced, bays marked, can operate ‘all day’ or for a shorter period of time
  • Permit Parking Areas (PPA) - permit required, operational hours enforced, parking permitted over crossovers, can operate ‘all day’ or for a shorter period of time
  • Free bay scheme - no permit required, bays marked but freely available to all, usually only operate for one-hour per day.

What is the difference between a CPZ and a PPA?

CPZs and PPAs are very similar as they both require a permit to park during the operational hours. The most important difference between the two permit schemes is that CPZs limit permit holders to specific parking bays whereas PPAs do not define specific parking bays.

Will a single line (SYL) or double yellow lines (DYL) be introduced on my street?

Yellow line waiting restrictions help traffic to move freely and improve road safety and are in keeping with regulations under the Department for Transport's Highway Code.  We are considering these within permit zones and also on their own in other areas. In particular double yellow lines may be introduced in some areas where emergency services have raised issues with gaining access.

Double yellow lines (DYL) mean that parking is restricted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in other words ‘at any time’.  Single yellow lines (SYL) mean that at some time during the day or week parking is restricted.

How do parking controls work?

The key objective of managing parking is to help manage the scarce resource of parking space by prioritising certain types of parking - usually to assist residents and visitors rather than commuters for example. Within any Permit Scheme (CPZ and PPA), only those residents within the zone are entitled to permits.  Those without permits will not be able to park within the permit bays or permit area during the operational times.

Council-appointed Civil Enforcement Officers will enforce the controls by issuing fines/Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) to vehicles parked in contravention of the restrictions during operational hours. 

However, Civil Enforcement Officers will also issue PCNs for any other parking contravention such as parking on double yellow lines or footways and parking across individual crossovers without the property owner’s consent. The Council aims to reach a balance between the needs of the residents and the safety of all road users.

A PPA is proposed in my area. What does that mean?

In a PPA all streets are subject to parking controls and vehicles may park only when displaying a valid permit for that PPA during the operational hours.  The operational times of the PPA are indicated on entry signs as you enter the area/zone with residents and their visitors being given priority throughout the hours of operation.  A PPA generally allows for more parking capacity as bays are not formally marked and residents are able to park across their dropped kerbs (vehicle crossovers) during the operational hours.  

How much will a permit cost?

Resident Permit costs are standardised across Sutton and are based on vehicle type, fuel type and Co2 emissions. Download our current pricing structure . To check your vehicle type, fuel type and Co2 emissions please consult your vehicles V5 document or you can also find this information online using the vehicle tax checker from Gov.uk.  Permit prices in Sutton are amongst the lowest in London.

  • permits are valid for one year
  • each household can have up to 3 permits within one year
  • prices depend on whether it's your first, second or third vehicle with a resident permit in that year and other criteria

What are the terms and conditions to being eligible for a permit?

The terms and conditions for Sutton parking permits are available online.

What about visitors? How will they be able to park near my property?

Visitor vouchers will be made available to enable your visitors to park within the zone during operational hours. Sutton is one of very few Local Authorities that offers an annual allocation of free visitor vouchers, with each household within the zone receiving 50 free hours of visitor vouchers per annum. Additional visitor vouchers can be purchased online for £61 for 100 hours, the standard price across Sutton. Find out more about PPA visitor permits and CPZ visitor permits.

I am a disabled Blue Badge holder, will anything change?

Blue badge holders are required to display a parking permit in Permit Only bays or Permit Parking Areas, unless they are parked in a designated disabled bay. National guidelines apply including parking free in any shared use bay, or on-street pay-and-display bay or for a maximum of three hours on a single or double yellow line as long as there are no loading restrictions and you are not causing an obstruction and display the time clock.  Remember to check any signs for restrictions when parking.

Will my Carer be affected?

We offer special permits for Carers. For more information on carers permits visit our parking permits page 

Who would be entitled to a Resident Parking Permit?

Anyone whose address is included in the Traffic Management Order (TMO) for a Resident Parking Zone can apply for a Resident Parking Permit. The vehicle, that the application is being made for, must be registered to the householder at the qualifying address within the relevant Zone.  A maximum of three permits per household is allowed.

During the scheme design certain properties may be excluded from being eligible for permits due to a number of factors such as sufficient private parking already being available or there being planning restrictions in place preventing the issue of permits. The properties eligible will be made clear through the formal consultation process.  

What if I live on a private road or a housing estate?

If you live on a private road or estate within a PPA or CPZ, you will not automatically be entitled to a permit to park on the public highway in the zone.  The council will consider a range of factors before agreeing which of these residents should be allowed to acquire permits, before each new zone is set up.  The Traffic Management Order (TMO) will clearly set out which properties are included.  The council is not able to enforce parking restrictions on your private road or estate.

What if my street has existing footway parking?

As part of the Parking Strategy officers will investigate if existing footway parking areas or bays are fit for purpose. It may be necessary to remove existing footway parking facilities if they do not meet the current regulations. Especially if roads with footway parking are to be included in a permit parking scheme. E.g. PPA or CPZ.

Why has a Free bay scheme been proposed in my street but no information is given on the proposed times it will operate?

As part of the consultation, there are some streets that include Free bay proposals. These schemes will only operate for one hour Monday-Friday.  The precise time of the restriction will be confirmed in the Traffic Management Order and will depend on a range of factors such as proximity to other zones, commuter parking pressures and enforcement resources.

Why are you proposing a permit scheme for my street, when my neighbouring street is getting a Free bay scheme and won’t have to pay for a permit?

Free bay schemes generally only operate for an hour during the week (for eg Mon-Fri 11am-midday) and as such do not solve parking pressures in all locations. A range of factors have been considered in each area in drawing up proposals, including feedback from residents and data in relation to known parking issues.

Putting parking restrictions in my street will just cause displacement to other streets, so why bother?

With any parking restrictions there is always the chance of displacement to nearby streets. Because it is not our intention to cover the borough in parking restrictions and parking issues differ in each area, we need to create boundaries for the extent of each specific scheme. As part of the parking strategy we will review any new schemes after installing them and part of this review will assess any displacement issues.

Why are you proposing additional single yellow lines (SYL) or double yellow lines (DYL) in my street?

As part of the parking strategy the council aims to reach a balance between the needs of residents and the safety of all road users. In some cases the implementation of single and double yellow lines is necessary to ensure access, the free movement of traffic and improve road safety, as outlined under Rule 243 of the Department for Transport’s Highway Code.

Will anything change for my business?

Nothing will change.  We do not offer business permits, however businesses can use pay and display bays, loading bays and loading areas, subject to any restrictions.

As a business, what if goods need to be loaded or unloaded?

Loading and unloading of goods is permitted within any parking bays, or PPA, and also on yellow lines (except where loading restrictions apply), for up to 20 minutes, as long as vehicles or packages don’t cause any obstructions or danger for other road users and the loading/unloading activity is continuous.

Will I need a permit for tradespeople to come and do work to my home?

During the operational hours of any specific parking scheme (PPA or CPZ) tradespeople would be required to display a visitor voucher to park on the street  Alternatively, if you have a tradesperson visiting your property, you can apply for a dispensation to park in a specific bay for a period of time. Find out more about parking dispensations.  If they are only loading or unloading, no permit or voucher is required.

As a motorbike owner, how will I be affected?

If you are in a CPZ or PPA, you will need to purchase a Resident Parking Permit, or park on private land or private driveway.

What if I have a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) or if I want one in the future?

Our Vehicle Crossover Policy and information on how you apply for one can be found at the following link: Vehicle Crossing Policy

In CPZs, in order to prevent dropped kerb obstruction, bays will not be placed across existing vehicle crossovers however a single yellow line waiting restriction (operating during the controlled hours) will be placed on the road to restrict parking during the controlled hours.

New crossovers will not normally be permitted in CPZs unless they can be implemented without changes to existing bays or other restrictions.

In a PPA, parking across dropped kerbs is permitted, during the controlled hours, provided a permit is displayed and the vehicle is parked in accordance with any signs in place.

New crossovers will only be permitted in PPAs if they can be implemented without changes to existing parking restrictions.

What will the revenue generated from permits be used for?

All Controlled Zones must be self-funding as no core council funding is legally permitted to be used to implement, maintain and operate them.

Legislation restricts use of permit revenue to the implementation (consultation, legal traffic order processes, installation of signs and lines), maintenance (refreshing of signs and lines, update of electronic systems to facilitate permit issues etc) and operation (administration of permit issue and provision of dedicated enforcement resources to enforce the zone).

Any surplus generated after all these costs are taken into account is restricted by legislation to be reinvested in highways/travel related services and projects such as resurfacing our roads or making them safer. We are legally obliged to produce an annual parking financial statement.

There’s more than enough parking on my street, why is the council proposing a parking scheme?

The aim of the parking strategy is to future-proof parking availability to help residents in the years to come. It is not our intention to cover the borough in parking restrictions, but there are some areas in Sutton where there are simply too many cars and if we don’t do something soon, we will run out of space for everybody to park their car. In some cases parking controls are being proposed and/or implemented at locations because emergency services and waste collection contractors have reported issues gaining access to some streets. The council also must ensure it is meeting the Department for Transport’s guidelines around safety and visibility at junctions. 

What if I don’t want you to change anything and leave things as they are?

As part of the consultation across the three geographical areas there are multiple opportunities for residents to provide feedback about proposals in their area, including responding to the two online surveys. We then formally take your response into consideration when analysing the results before deciding on next steps. We want to hear from as many residents as possible, although feedback from residents is not the only factor we will consider when deciding what proposals to implement.

Have you changed your N1 van parking policy?

We implemented the N1 policy in September 2016 to discourage companies using residential streets to park their fleet vehicles. The policy was aimed at prioritising residential parking spaces for residents' vehicles, and came in response to resident concerns that there were too many commercial vehicles parking in CPZ areas. As a result of feedback from residents as part of the Parking Strategy consultations, a decision has been taken to revoke the N1 policy. This means resident permits will be granted for company vehicles, with vehicle type N1, provided it is being solely used by a resident of the zone. The new policy will apply to all existing and any future controlled parking zones, subject to the necessary statutory consultation and procedures.

What is a traffic management order (TMO)?

TMOs are statutory legal documents made by the council under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.  They are used to regulate and enforce highways traffic measures and parking.

There are four main types of TMO. The proposals for the parking strategy are known as a “permanent order”. A TMO for the parking strategy will only be sought after the council has undertaken a series of informal consultations on parking proposals.

What is the difference between informal consultation and a statutory consultation?

An informal consultation can involve a variety of informal public participation activities including public meetings, surveys or online polls. A statutory consultation involves a formal approach underpinned by legislation and specific regulatory steps to take. 

What happens when publishing a TMO proposal?

Before making a TMO, the council must consult with the public, emergency services and other statutory bodies and duly consider any representations received. TMOs are advertised in the local press and London Gazette. Notices will also be placed on lamp posts or signposts in the areas affected. 

How does the council decide if a TMO proposal will be implemented?

The council is required to give weight to the nature and content of your individual representations and not necessarily the quantity. Your reasons for supporting or objecting to the proposals are therefore important to us.