Met Office issue yellow weather warning

In an emergency where you are at serious risk from flooding and in danger, please contact the emergency services on 999. 

If you consider yourself to be vulnerable or in any way at risk - or if you know someone who is and needs help because of flooding, then please contact the Council for assistance on 020 8770 5000. 

If flooding occurs to your road and/or property, you can contact the Council on 020 8770 5000. 

If you are a social housing tenant and your home is flooded please contact your housing association. If you’re unable to contact your housing association then please contact the Council for assistance with temporary accommodation on 020 8770 5000. We will help you find temporary accommodation if required.

If you rent or own your own home you should contact your insurance company and report the flooding. Depending on the level of building insurance possessed, your insurer may be able to provide you with temporary accommodation while they process your claim to repair the damage. If you do not possess this level of cover, contact the Council for assistance with temporary accommodation on 020 8770 5000.

If flooding is on a road or pavement

In many cases, especially during storm events, it is found that the public sewers are unable to cope with the amount of water generated by the storm, which means that the water is unable to drain away through our gullies.

In such instances, it is recommended that you and any neighbours who have been similarly affected contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800 (24 hour service) advising them of the situation. You should provide them with as much detail as possible, supplying date(s) and details of how you were flooded and ask them to ensure that these incidents are logged onto their “flooding history database” as this will contribute to the possibility of an improvement in the sewer system.  

If you identify that a gully may be blocked, you can report this to the Council here.

The highway drainage systems (gullies) are not designed to cope with heavy storms, so ‘flooding’ of the highway is expected during a storm event but this will go down over time.

To report flooding to the Council after the flood event or historic cases of flooding, please report this here.

Reporting other sources of flooding

Below are contact details for partners for you to contact, depending on the source of flooding and impacts being experienced:

  • Flooding from public sewer: Thames Water, 080 0316 9800

  • Flooding from a burst water main: Sutton and East Surrey Water, 017 3777 2000 – they’re responsible up to and including the stopcock.

  • Flooding from a blocked drain on private property: The homeowner or landlord is responsible and would need to engage the services of a plumber / drainage professional. 

  • Flooding from a burst riverbank: Environment Agency, 037 0850 6506 - They’re responsible for the main rivers, including the River Wandle.

Depending on the impacts being experienced, below are some helpful contacts: 

  • Loss of electricity/power cut: UK Power Networks, Tel: 105

  • Loss of gas/gas leak: National Grid, 080 0111 999

  • Loss of safe drinking water: Sutton and Surrey East Water, 017 3777 2000; or Thames Water, 080 0316 9800 (see who supplies your drinking water here). 

  • Damage to buildings and trees: Sutton Council, 020 8770 5000.