There are different Health services to help and support children, young people and their families who have a range of needs.

Some services are available to everyone and some may require a referral.

Read information from the NHS  about moving from children's to adult's services (external link).

Please find information on Preparing for Adulthood and Health on our PfA pages. 

The Learning Disability Register

You can ask to go on the learning disability register if you think you have a learning disability. You do not need to be diagnosed with a learning disability to be on the register.  It is a good way to get to know your doctor better, and for them to find out more about you so they can treat you properly if you get ill. Read more about the Learning Disability Register (external link).

The Health Adjustment Passport (HAP)

The Health Adjustment Passport  (HAP) is now available on Gov.UK. The passport can be used by those with a disability or health condition to help identify what support and changes they may need when they are in work or moving into work. This could include support from Access to Work , such as funding for specialist equipment, support getting to and from work or support when in work. 

The HAP is owned by the individual, who can decide how they want to use it and completion is voluntary, with support from a work coach if appropriate.  Find out more about the Health Adjustment Passport (external link).

The Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) is designed to protect and empower people who may lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions about their care and treatment. It applies to people aged 16 and over.

It covers decisions about day-to-day things like what to wear or what to buy for the weekly shop, or serious life-changing decisions like whether to move into a care home or have major surgery.

Read more about the Mental Capacity Act (external link). 

Find an easy read guide to the Mental Capacity Act 2005 (external link). 

NHS Children's Therapies

Please note this information is about the NHS Therapy teams working in the community with children and young people who are registered with a GP who is part of the Sutton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). If you are registered with a GP who is part of another CCG (e.g. Croydon, Merton) then information about services can be found on their local offer websites.

  • Speech and Language Therapy – to support children with speech, language and communication difficulties and / or swallowing problems.

  • Physiotherapy – to help children and young people with movement difficulties

  • Occupational Therapy – to improve children’s functional skills and encourage independence

  • Dietitian – to help with diet and nutrition and specialist ways of feeding for children with complex health needs.

Visit Sutton Health and Care NHS for general information about these services, who can be referred to them and how to refer (external link). 

In Sutton, Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy is also offered to children and young people by the Cognus Therapies team. Find information about Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy (external link).  

Children's Continence Service

The Children’s Continence Service is available for children and young people aged 5 to 18 years old, registered with a Sutton GP, who experience bladder and/or bowel difficulties including daytime wetting / soiling.

The service is run by specialist nurses who will complete an assessment to find out about your child’s individual needs.

The team is able to offer:

- Advice and support around toilet training and healthy bladder and bowels.

- Continence promotion for children who have additional needs.

- Assessment and advice for children who have more complex needs and / or learning disabilities and, subject to eligibility, the provision of continence products.

Referral to the service is via your child’s GP or another health professional (e.g. School Nurse / Health Visitor)

For children and young people who experience enuresis (overnight bed wetting) there is a separate enuresis service run by the Sutton School Nursing Team.

For any children who present with “red flag” symptoms or where further investigation is required an onward referral will be made to a Consultant Paediatrician / Consultant Paediatric Urologist.

Telephone:  020 8770 5409

Visit Sutton Health and Care Website for further information (external link). 

Specialist Health Services for Children who are Looked After.

The Looked After Children’s Health Service is also known as the LAC Service.

The LAC Service is available for children aged 0 to 18 years old who are looked after by the London Borough of Sutton.

The service is run by specialist nurses who ensure that all children who are looked after receive an annual health assessment as per statutory guidance (or six monthly if under five years).

The team is able to offer:

- An annual or six monthly health assessment for all children who are looked after.

- Onward referral to other health professionals where needed.

Referral to the service is via Social Services

Find more information at the Sutton Health and Care, children's services website (external link). 

Community Paediatric Medical Service

The Community Paediatric Medical Service provides medical assessment, diagnosis, support and management to children, young people and their families that are vulnerable due to disease, disability and/or disadvantage. The service is provided for children and young people under 18 registered with a Sutton GP in the following areas:

  • Services for children and young people with disabilities and complex health needs

  • Services to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities; including contributing to Education Health and Care Needs Assessments and annual reviews of EHCPs

  • Safeguarding and protecting children and young people

  • Services for Looked After Children (including adoption and fostering services)

Referrals to the service provided by Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust are usually by GP or healthcare professional. Read more about the Community Paediatric Medical Service at the Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust (external link).

Community Special Care Dentistry Service

This is provided by a department of King’s College Hospital that works in the community. In Sutton the service is provided at Green Wrythe Lane Clinic.

The service is for any patient, living in Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Croydon, Kingston, Richmond, Merton, Sutton or Wandsworth, who has one or more of the following:

• physical disability

• medically complex conditions

• learning disability

• severe anxiety/phobia

• severe mental health condition

Most patients are referred to the service by their dentist, doctor or other

healthcare professional, such as a health visitor, school nurse or therapist.

For further information visit the NHS Community Special Care Dentistry service (external link).  For queries about the referral process, contact the central referral management team on 020 3299 3480.

Read A Guide to Dental Care for Children with Autism (external link).