Vehicles and Transport


Vehicle tax exemption

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

·         higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA). Learn about Disability Living Allowance (external link).

·         enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Learn about Personal Independence Payment (external link)

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

You claim the exemption when you apply for vehicle tax. Read about Vehicle tax (external link). 

Vehicle tax reduction

You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component. Find out more about the PIP standard rate mobility component (external link). 

VAT relief for vehicles

You may not have to pay VAT on having a vehicle adapted to suit your condition, or on the lease of a Motability vehicle - this is known as VAT relief. Visit the Government website for information on VAT relief (external link). 

The Mobility Scheme 

Find out about the Motability Scheme, which can help you with leasing a car, powered wheelchair or scooter (external link). You’ll need to be getting one of the following:

  • the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA
  • the enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP

Blue Badge parking scheme

Find out about the Blue Badge scheme, which provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or as passengers (external link).



21/10/2020, 15:39:53