What is MyAccount?

My Account is a secure web site that allows you to manage Your benefits and council tax accounts with us. You can view 

  • Bills,
  • Benefit notification letters,
  • Check instalments
  • View your council tax account
  • Entitlements.

MyAccount is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, you can access your account at a time and place that’s convenient for you. My Account is easy to use and it’s free to register. A user guide is also available and if you need additional support you can call our team.

Back to top

What are the benefits of using MyAccount?

MyAccount has been created with the customers needs first. You are able to view your details in real time along with updating us with changes without having to wait on the phone for an adviser. 

You can access your 

  • council tax,
  • business rates
  • benefits account

at a time and place that’s convenient for you. MyAccount offers customers a digital choice in how they access council services. It means that you don’t need to spend time on hold or queuing up to ask a simple query and can quickly logon to access instant and up-to-date account information.

Back to top

Is MyAccount secure to use?

We are committed to protecting your privacy online and make every effort to ensure your personal details are kept safe, secure and meet strict data protection rules. To register for a MyAccount you will need your council tax reference number or claim reference as well as an email address, postcode password and security question.  Although we take steps to ensure our websites and links are virus free, you are always advised to ensure that you have adequate anti-virus protection on your computer. You are also responsible for keeping your user name and password confidential to prevent unauthorised viewing of your account. Please contact us as soon as possible if you suspect either of the above have been compromised.

Back to top

What services are available online?

We currently offer an online system for housing benefits, council tax and business rates.

  • MyAccount details – change your email address and password or deactivate your account.
  • Revenues - manage your account, set up a direct debit, make payments, apply for single persons discount and amend address details online.
  • Housing benefits - Check your payment details including next payment date, advise of a change in circumstances and check your calculation/entitlement summary.

Back to top

Do I need to live in Sutton to register for my account?

MyAccount is not only for those living in Sutton  You may also wish to set up an online account if you are claiming housing benefits from the London Borough of Sutton but are currently housed outside of Sutton, or if you are a landlord not living in the area, but have accounts at an address in the borough.

Back to top

How do I register to use my account?  

MyAccount is easy to use and it’s free to register. 

Before you start, you'll need:

  • an email address
  • a password and a security question
  • claim reference or account number
  • your postcode.

For benefit accounts, you'll also need your:

  • date of birth
  • National insurance number.

Back to top

I am having trouble logging in. 

To log in you will need to use the email address and password that you entered when you created your account.  Check that you have activated your account. The first time you login, you must activate your account by clicking on the link in the email that we sent you when you created your account. This could have been from either counciltax@sutton.gov.uk, housingbenefits@sutton.gov.uk or businessrates@sutton.gov.uk.

Back to top

I have forgotten my password, what shall I do?

Go to Sign in and click on ‘problems signing in’.. This then will send you an email  to the email address you have provided us with instructions on how to reset your password. 

Back to top

How do I change my password?

Once signed in, you will see your name in the welcome box below the MyAccount header, as shown below.

Myaccount change password

Click on ‘Change Your Password’ It will ask you to confirm your current one before allowing you to change it to something new and ‘Save’ the changes. 

Back to top

How do I change the email address I use for my account?

Once signed in, you will see your name in the welcome box. 

Click on ‘Current Details’’ remove the existing email address and replace it with the new one. Confirm the change by entering your password and ‘Save’ the changes.

Back to top

What if I don't get the email to activate my online account?

If you do not receive an email to allow you to activate your account, check that the email hasn’t gone directly into your ‘spam or junk’ folder. If not, register to create a MyAccount again. This could have been from either counciltax@sutton.gov.uk, housingbenefits@sutton.gov.uk or businessrates@sutton.gov.uk.

Back to top

Can I use printed bills  as proof of my address/ID for other organisations?

Go to the; 

  • View your Council Tax account’,
  • ‘View Your Account Services’
  • View Your Bills and Recovery Notices

Check you are printing the PDF of your bill and not the ‘Account Activity’. There is no reason for other organisations not to accept the bill you have printed. However if you are having any problems please contact us. 

Back to top

What is the difference between account activity and a bill?

The bill, otherwise known as a Council Tax Demand advises of your liability and payment plan. This will be sent just before each Tax Year starts (usually in March). It will show the property band, the amount you are being charged, any reductions or discounts you are receiving and will confirm your instalment plan for the new financial year. It will also be issued each time your instalment plan changes. The account activity will show the overall outstanding balance, your instalment plan, discounts, payments, method of payment agreed and the payments received to date. 

The Council Tax bill looks like this. (image)

A Statement lays out the balance you have been charged and will confirm the payments received to date. The Statement looks like this (image).

Back to top

Where can I find my bill?

Your bill can be downloaded as a PDF. This can easily be accessed at the top of the page under ‘popular services’. It’s the first option ‘view your bills and recovery notices’.

Back to top

What are my instalments?

Your next payment can be found at the top of the page of your online account. To view your full instalment plan please click on ‘View Your Bill and Recovery Notices’ and view your most recent bill found under ‘Popular Services’.

Back to top

Where can I see receipts?

The last payment received can be found at the top of the page. To view all the received payments please click on ‘Account Activity’ found under ‘Popular Services’.

Back to top

Do I need to re-register when I move?

No. If you are moving within the borough and if you inform us of your move you will not have to make any changes to your account. We will automatically add your new account to your MyAccount. If your new account isn’t showing online please contact the customer services team to discuss this. 

Back to top

Where can I find my Benefit Calculation?

If you are claiming Council Tax Reduction as well as Housing Benefit you can view the benefit calculation by selecting 'View my Benefits' from the Council Tax section. If you are only claiming Housing Benefit then any calculations can be viewed on your award letter found under 'View my Letters' in the ‘Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction‘ section on the home page.

Back to top

Can I view my notification letters online?

Yes. Once registered you will be able to access your notification letters by clicking on ‘Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction’ on the home page. 

Back to top

I don’t understand my award letter. What does it mean?

Don’t worry, we understand that these papers can sometimes be confusing. That is why we have created this document to help you make more sense of it. You can find this document here: (/downloads/file/2290/understanding_your_notification_letter)

Back to top

When will I get my payments?

You can find the amount and date of your next payment on the Benefits home page. 

If you would like more detail of ongoing payment dates.

Back to top

What happens when I have been overpaid Housing Benefits?

When you have been overpaid your ongoing entitlement will be reduced by the recovery rate set by the London Borough of Sutton. If you are no longer entitled to help with your housing costs, an invoice will be issued for the payment required. If you have received an invoice please contact Accounts Receivable on 020 8770 5422.