The Adult learning Disabilities Team in Social Services can refer you for Learning Disability accommodation. However, there is a very small number of homes and they do not become available often. Read our main pages to see how to apply. 

To find Housing Resources visit our PfA Inclusion page.

Independent Travel Training

Some people feel they need help to travel. Independent travel training helps young people with SEND to use public transport. It is available from Year 9 up to age 18. If you are age 19 to 25 you may also beable to get travel training. It helps you to learn to travel on your own and safely. Speak to your school or college to find out more.

If you are over 18 and would like to get a job but are worried about travelling to work, you may be able to get an Access to Work grant. To check eligibility and how to apply visit the Job Help website (external link).

You can also get help to travel on your own from Sutton Community Transport. Read more about Sutton Community Transport (external link).

Transport assistance schemes and information

TfL Travel mentoring is a free service that helps people to use public transport.  TfL can offer advice on planning a journey using an accessible route. They can provide a mentor to go out with you to practice a journey a few times.  You must be over the age of 16. Visit the TfL website for Travel mentoring (external link).

The Department for Transport  have been working to develop a Passenger Assist App. This App is to help communication with rail staff. Learn more about the Passenger Assist App (external link).

London Tube

Transport for London has guides, including a tube map showing all the accessible toilets. They also have a tube map which shows the number of steps. 

View the accessibility guides (external link). 


Visit the Walking advice page on the TfL website (external link).

Travel Discounts

TFL 11-15 and 16+ Zip Oyster photocard – Children can get free or cheaper travel with a Zip Oyster photocard. Visit the 11-15 Zip oyster website (external link).  

If you are 18 or over, live in London, and are an apprentice, you get cheaper travel with an Oyster photocard. Visit the Apprentice Oyster photocard website (external link). 

If you do not get a job and are looking for work, you may get cheaper travel in London. Visit the Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount website (external link).

Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

The Disabled Persons Freedom Pass gives free travel across London and free bus journeys across the country. Visit the London Councils website for further information on the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass (external link).

Disabled Person's Railcard

If you have a disability you may be able to get a Disabled Persons Railcard. Visit the Disabled Person's Railcard website (external link). 

Blue Badge parking permits:

The Blue Badge parking permit helps disabled people with mobilty problems to park close to where they are going. Fnd out more information and how to apply in Sutton.

Bus and Tram Discount Card

If you're get certain benefits, you may get cheaper travel on buses and trams. . Visit the Bus and Tram discount card website (external link). 


 This is for disabled people who can't use buses, trains or the Tube. Visit the Dial-a-Ride website (external link).


A way for people with disabilities to hire a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance. Visit the Motability website (external link). 

Taxicard Scheme

The Taxicard Scheme provides transport for people who have difficulty in using public transport. Visit the Taxicard Scheme website (external link).


EcoLocal runs cycling sessions at the David Weir Leisure Centre athletics track. Sessions are on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. 10am till Midday. Sessions are for adults and those ages 14+. Find more details and a map for inclusive cycling sessions (external link).

Cycling Projects

Learn more about Wheels for All (external link).

Learn more about Pedal Away (external links). 

They have locations in Epsom and Croydon.

Driving Lessons

You can find information about help to learn to drive on our main page.

Help from home with the Driving Theory Test

Free resources to help those who might need extra help to pass their Driving Theory Test. They are  available online for library members. Go to 'Theory Test Pro' and log in with your library card number.

Disabled Motoring UK

The charity helps disabled drivers. They work with government to improve driving for disabled people.

The Family Fund

The Family Fund gives a grant to help disabled people aged 16 and 17 to start learning to drive. Visit The Family Fund website (external link). 

The True Colours Trust

The True Colours Trust gives grants for young people and their families aged 18-26 who have a disability and are on a low income. These grants can be used to pay for driving lessons.  020 7410 0330. Visit The True Colours Trust website (external link).


Motability can help people whoget either the higher rate mobility component of DLA or the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP to use their mobility allowance to hire a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. The person with the disability does not need to be the person who will drive the car. 0845 456 4566. Visit the Motability website (external link).

QEF Mobility Services

Advice and training for people with disabilities wishing to learn how to drive or return to driving after an accident or illness. 020 8770 1151 Visit the QEF website (external link).  

Vehicle Tax

Visit our main pages to learn about vehicle tax. 


Look on the Airport website to see if they are accessible. Gatwick Airport has help and support for your journey.  Visit the Gatwick Airport website for more information (external link).Gatwick is also the first UK airport to open a sensory room. 

Guide to Flying with a Disability

You can watch a film about help for wheelchair users when flying. Watch the film about support available when flying (external link). 

Applying for a passport    

Visit the Government website for help with your passport application (external link).

How to vote 

Learning Disability England has resources to help SEND voters to vote.Visit the elections resources hub (external link).

National insurance and NHS number     

Your NHS number is given to you soon after you're born or the first time you get NHS care or treatment.

You do not need to know your NHS number to use NHS services, but it can be useful to have it. You can find your NHS Number on any letter you get from the NHS. You can also find your NHS Number online.  Visit Find my NHS number (external link).

NHS Number is different from your National Insurance (NI) number, which is used for tax and pensions. You will receive your NI number about three months before your 16th birthday.

If you need help with your National Insurance number, visit the HMRC website.


Find information about benefits when preparing for adult life on the Contact website. Access the Contact website (external link). 

Visit the Citizens Advice website for help with benefits (external link). 

Use an independent benefits calculator (external link) to find out:what benefits you could get.

Universal Credit

Some disabled young people can claim Universal Credit once they turn 16. However, some people can have less money after claiming Universal Credit so you should get advice. Visit Contact for more information on Universal Credit (external link).

Council Tax  and Care Leavers

All Care Leavers do not have to pay Council Tax until they turn 25 years old. 

Personal Independence Payments

PIP is for adults aged 16-64. PIP can be paid even if you work. It depends on how difficult you find tasks and any problems in getting around out of doors. You may be asked to attend a meeting with a health professional.  Visit Contact for more information on Universal Credit (external link). 

Employment Support Allowance is for young people with a disability who are unable to work or need help to work. You will have an assessment first. You can apply by phone on 0800 055 6688 (Textphone: 0800 023 4888). Visit the Government website for more on Employment Support Allowance (external link).


Read the Making Money Easier guides (external link). 


Sutton Council want to work with you to solve any issues.

If you are unhappy with a service provided by Sutton Council you should tell a member of staff or the manager as soon as you can.

Making a Complaint

To find out how to make a complain, please read our main pages.