Find information about benefits and financial help when preparing for adult life on the Contact website. Access the Contact website (external link). 

Visit the Citizens Advice website for support with benefits (external link). 

Use an independent benefits calculator (external link) to find out:

  • what benefits you could get
  • how to claim
  • how your benefits will be affected if you start work

These are free to use, anonymous, and have replaced the Benefits Adviser service. Find out what benefits you are entitled to with Entitled to (external link). 

Universal Credit

Some disabled young people can claim Universal Credit in their own right once they turn 16. However, some people can be left worse off after claiming Universal Credit so it is always worth getting advice before making a claim. Visit Contact for more information on Universal Credit (external link).

Council Tax  and Care Leavers

All Care Leavers regardless of their circumstance are exempt from Council Tax until they turn 25 years old, which is when the Council’s role as their Corporate Parent officially ends. Learn more about Council Tax for Care Leavers.

Learn more about Council Tax (external link). 

Personal Independence Payments

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit that has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults aged 16-64. DLA will continue as a separate benefit for children aged under 16 years.  PIP is not means-tested and can be paid both in and out of work. Whether you qualify will depend on the difficulties you have in carrying out certain tasks essential to independent living and any problems in getting around out of doors. As part of being assessed you may be asked to attend a face-to-face meeting with a health professional. Visit Contact for more information on Universal Credit (external link). 

Employment Support Allowance is for young people who have a disability and who are unable to work, or who are in need of support to enable them to work by the Department for Work and Pensions. You will have a work capability assessment to see if you are eligible, and what type of additional support you will need. The quickest way to apply for Employment and Support Allowance is by phone on 0800 055 6688 (Textphone: 0800 023 4888). Visit the Government website for more on Employment Support Allowance (external link). 


Read the Making Money Easier guides provided by United Response (external link). These guides include advice about choosing and using a bank account, a glossary on common banking terms, tips on budgeting and a guide to help people live independently.


29/09/2021, 11:09:22