Transition to Adult Services and Mental Health 


Planning for transition - finding out if a young person and their family are eligible for services as an adult.

The law (The Care Act) says that if a child, young carer or an adult caring for a child (a “child’s carer”) is likely to have needs when they, or the child they care for, turns 18, the local authority must assess them if it considers there is “significant benefit” to the individual in doing so.

This is regardless of whether the child or individual currently receives any services. When either a child or a young carer approaches their 18th birthday, they may ask for an assessment. A parent or carer may also ask for an assessment as the child they are caring for approaches 18.

Read information from the NHS  about moving from children's to adult's services (external link).

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

CAMHS is the name for the NHS services that assess and treat young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties. Sutton CAMHS is for children and young people up to the age of 18 registered with a Sutton GP, their families and/or carers across the borough. 

CAMHS is not an emergency service and you would need to be referred to the service by a GP, other healthcare professional, school, or others via the single point of referral.

CAMHS Team members include child and adolescent psychiatrists, social workers, clinical psychologists, community psychiatric nurses, child psychotherapists, occupational therapists and other therapists. 

Online mental wellbeing support

  • Kooth is an online mental wellbeing community with free access and safe, anonymous support.  Qualified counsellors, therapists and support workers provide guided and outcome-focused support for each individual. Kooth is accessible through any connected device - young people can log on wherever they are to access professional counselling up until 10pm 365 days a year. Visit the Kooth website to learn more (external link). 
  • Off the Record is a free support service for young people aged 11-25.  They offer remote or face to face counselling services and online workshops along with information on what to do if you need advice now. Visit Off the Record to find out about the services they offer (external link).
  • Barnardos. Growing up is a challenge for everyone, but for some it's more difficult than others. Banardos offer practical and emotional support so that young people can enter adulthood with the confidence they need to achieve their full potential. Learn more about Barnardos (external link). 


07/01/2021, 13:45:02