Do you have difficulty walking or moving around?

This page provides suggestions on how you might overcome this problem so that you can get about more independently and safely.

Walking aids or equipment

Specialist equipment, including walking sticks and walking frames, can enable you to walk more safely, steadily and independently - go to our equipment to help you stay safe page for details of various websites which might be able to help.

Age UK offers a range of mobility aids.


Physiotherapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. They specialise in working with people who are experiencing difficulties with their walking.
After an assessment a physiotherapist may offer one or more of the following:

  • a programme of exercises to help you to become stronger and to improve your walking
  • advice on how you might take a different approach to your walking so that you are safer
  • advice on equipment and aids which might be suitable for you

Physiotherapists may also be able to assist people with severe and chronic pain by recommending exercises and equipment.

How to contact a physiotherapist

Depending on your situation you may be offered the chance to see a physiotherapist following a spell in hospital, or after seeing a GP, district nurse, social worker or other health and social care professional.

Sutton Physiotherapy Service provides specialist physiotherapy assessments and treatment for people with learning disabilities and complex healthcare needs. Treatment takes place at the Sutton Inclusion Centre, Anton Crescent. The service also assesses the need for hydrotherapy.

The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy allows you to search for private physiotherapists in your area.

You can also find a physiotherapist using the Physio First search facility.

NHS Choices has information about physiotherapy, how to access it privately or through the NHS, and the techniques that a physiotherapist may use to treat you.

Worried about falling?

If you're:

  • 65 years and over

  • registered with a Sutton GP

  • have had a fall, have a fear of falling or at risk of falling

you could ask for a referral from your GP to the falls prevention service (Sutton Community Services).

Getting a wheelchair

Depending on your situation you may need a wheelchair permanently to get about, or you may just require one if you are going out and about or to make the most of a special occasion. Using a wheelchair can give you extra independence and a sense of security.

Other information and advice

SCILL and Sutton Shopmobility have produced a comprehensive access guide to all the shops and businesses in Sutton High Street. The guide gives details of any arrangements made by local business to assist people with mobility problems, a sensory impairment, or any other disability.

You can consider installing a small, secure safe outside your home with a set of your keys in it. Anyone wanting to access the keys will need to know a code number which you will set, and can then give only to people whom you know and trust. This means that if you have had a fall and are in difficulty, and / or have used an alarm or the phone to call for help, someone will be able to gain access to your property.

The Key Safe Company is one of many that sell a range of secure key safes.