How will this SEND Guidance help?
The information available in this ‘SENCO’ section of the Local Offer forms part of our ongoing commitment to make clear the processes and systems that underpin our ongoing improvements to SEND services in Sutton. It also lays out how we can all work together to continually improve what we do in the Borough.
- It provides a benchmark / baseline / common set of expectations about the provision that should be ordinarily available for the majority of children and young people with SEND in mainstream settings whose needs are predictable. It also provides information on the provision that should be available for pupils whose needs are ‘exceptional’ and cannot be met by mainstream provision (what we refer to as specialist settings).
- It will help schools/settings and Local Authority officers to make decisions:
- At a setting level as plans are made to meet pupil or student needs, and
- At a Local Authority level when a Panel considers whether there is evidence that, in spite of the setting applying the Graduated Response over a reasonable period of time, provision is needed for the pupil that is over and above what is ordinarily available.
- The information can be used as a reference for existing professionals as well as to support the induction of those that are new to the Local Area (e.g. SENCO’s in schools, Social Care / Health professionals etc).