Residents who wish to drive vehicles across a public footpath in order to park a vehicle on their own property are required to have a vehicle crossing (dropped kerb).

It is an offence for vehicles to be driven across public footways where no vehicle crossing exists.

Residents can request an estimate from the council for the construction of a vehicle crossing on public roads other than Red Routes (which are roads normally main roads classified as the A217, A297, A232, and A24) - for a vehicle crossing on a Red Route please contact Transport for London.

Before applying for an (vehicle crossing) estimate please read the Vehicle crossover policy

If you would like to arrange an estimate for a vehicle crossing (dropped kerb) please use the online vehicle crossing application form


There is a fee of £126 for the supply of an estimate. Once an application has been made and the £126 fee received, a council officer will carry out a site survey and determine whether it is possible to offer a vehicle crossing in the proposed location.

The £126 fee will not be refunded if an application is refused. This will also not be deducted from the total cost of the works. 

Request permission 

Residents living in a council property need permission from Sutton Housing Partnership before a vehicle crossing or hard standing can be constructed. 

Residents living in a classified road (A, B or C roads) will require planning permission prior to a vehicle crossing being constructed. Please contact our Planning Department for further information.