Apprenticeships in Sutton Council
Earn while you Learn!
The London Borough of Sutton are proud to offer a wide range of Apprenticeship schemes for anyone aged 16 and over and not in full time education. Apprentices with LBS will combine full time work and simultaneously study for a nationally recognised qualification under the management and guidance of experienced staff.
The work based qualification can range from GCSE or equivalent to degree level. This is an ideal opportunity for those leaving education or seeking to start a career in a new field and gain new experience.
What we can promise you:
You will benefit from on the job learning and development, gaining invaluable experience and picking up practical knowledge in the workplace in order to add to your skill set and support your next career move.
The end of your apprenticeship will act as a stepping stone into the jobs market making you stand out more to potential employers and best of all, avoiding the ever-increasing student debts many young people face today.
Increased opportunities to continue your career within the Council and working your way up towards more senior positions and benefitting from competitive wages.
Working for a leading Local Authority within the South London Partnership collaboration.
You can apply to be an apprentice for London Borough of Sutton Council if you:
- Are aged 16 or over and not in full time education
- Are a UK resident
- Are an enthusiastic, determined and motivated individual with a desire to work and learn.
- Are willing to work full time and allocate one day per week for study towards one of the four types of apprenticeships which can take between one to four years to complete (depending on the level)
Types of Apprenticeship LBS Offer:
- Intermediate Level - this is equivalent to 5 GCSE’s. You will work towards relevant work-based learning qualifications and will lead to a Level 2 qualification.
- Advanced Level - this is equivalent to 2 A Levels. Similar to the work based learning for Intermediate apprentices but on a level 3 competence.
- Higher Level 4 and 5 - equivalent to HNC, HND of Foundation Degree level.
- Higher Level 6 and 7 - this is equivalent to a Bachelors and Masters Degree level.
Your qualification at the end of your apprenticeship will include a competencies qualification, a technical knowledge certificate and either key skills or functional skills if required.
Apprenticeship benefits at Sutton Council:
- Starting salary of £9,951 rising to £12,579 in year 2
- 23 days paid annual leave
- Receive training and development
- Gain qualifications
- Bicycle loan facilities
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Subsidised gym membership
- Local and national discounts for shopping, eating out and leisure activities
Which areas can you work as an Apprentice in Sutton Council?
- Business administration and office work
- Human resources
- Youth engagement
- Customer services
- Environmental and leisure works
- Adult social care & elderly care
- Young people's learning and education services
There are many different training providers that apprentices can study through whilst gaining their qualifications. These include Sutton College (SCOLA), Carshalton College, JACE Training and Orchard Hill College to name a few.
Sutton Apprenticeship Hub:
Find the latest live apprenticeship vacancies in Sutton at https://suttonjobs.engageats.co.uk/. The Sutton Apprenticeship Hub is an up-to-date online portal designed to help match young people with local apprenticeship vacancies in Sutton and surrounding areas within Surrey.
- You can search and apply for live vacancies.
- Blog articles and success stories to read
- Hub chat forum to communicate with other apprentices
- Have access to advice and guidance on CV writing to make your application stand out.
- Information tailored to potential students, teachers, parents and businesses.
Sutton Education Business Partnership twitter feed also has apprenticeship vacancies in the local area to view.
Is available on the National Apprenticeships website.
How to apply
Please click on the link: https://suttonjobs.engageats.
Public sector apprenticeships target for 2017/18
The council has for many years invested in a successful apprenticeship programme, and is committed to recruiting and developing apprentices as a means of providing high quality training opportunities both for new starters and for our existing workforce.
As part of our statutory requirements we must report on our progress in meeting the public sector apprenticeship target. The target is for new apprenticeship starts, which includes both newly employed apprentices and any existing employees that have begun an apprenticeship. Each local authority’s target is based on the headcount of their organisation (not FTE), and will include community and voluntary controlled schools, and other services where the local authority is the employer. The legislation that introduced the target is clear that public bodies in scope should ‘have regard to’ it, however there are currently no sanctions in place for any public body that fails to meet its target.
Data submitted to the Department of Education for 2017/18 financial year
Number of employees (headcount) at 31st March 2017
Number of apprentices as at 31st March 2017
Number of employees whose employment started between 1st April and 31st March 2018
Number of apprenticeship starts between 1st April 2017 and 31st March 2018
Number of employees (headcount) as at 31st March 2018
Number of apprentices as at 31st March 2018