COVID-19 Supporting Vulnerable Adults

Supporting Vulnerable adults

Supporting Vulnerable Adults

The Council continues to provide essential support for residents with care and support needs and those that support them. Working closely with our local NHS health partners, care homes and care providers, we are ensuring that vulnerable residents are supported safely.

Adult Social Care is providing a normal level of service in response to new referrals and reviews of existing support. Where possible we are undertaking assessments and contact over the phone in line with Government guidelines on social distancing. If however a visit is necessary infection control precautions such as the use of PPE are taken to ensure that this can be undertaken safely.



With the successful rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine programme, the shielding programme has now ended. If you were previously identified as clinically extremely vulnerable, you are advised to continue to follow the guidance contained. Read the guidance on the government website.


New technology to help identify those at high risk from COVID-19

New technology has been introduced in England to help clinicians identify for the first time, a new group of people who may be at high risk from COVID-19. Over 800,000 adults will now be prioritised to receive a vaccine as part of the current vaccination cohorts.

The technology analyses a combination of risk factors based on medical records, to assess whether somebody may be more vulnerable than was previously understood, helping clinicians provide vaccination more quickly to them and ensuring patients can benefit from additional advice and support. 

Further information on the new identification technology is available on the website. 


Safeguarding Adults

In Sutton we aim to safeguard and protect adults at risk so that they live a life free from abuse and neglect. Safeguarding adults means helping adults at risk (i.e. an individual with health and support needs), remain safe and exercise choice in their life. 

If you don't think you need immediate help from the police or are worried about calling them, then you can call social services. It is important to remember that if you are being abused, it is not your fault. Don't worry about telling others that you think you are being abused - it is important that you get help. If you want, you can ask someone else to contact social services on your behalf. Your call can remain anonymous and everything you say will be kept confidential. 

To report a safeguarding concern contact Sutton Council's Adults and Safeguarding Referral Point on 020 8770 6770, email or complete a referral form. You can call after 5pm or at the weekend - do not wait until the next working day. Calls at these times are dealt with by the Emergency Duty Team. All calls are dealt with confidentiality.  

For further online information please see the Sutton Safeguarding Adults Board website