Frequently asked questions

What to do if you are unhappy about the service your child is receiving

The first step is to ask for a meeting to discuss your concerns.  It is much better to let people know that you are dissatisfied than to wait and let matters get worse.  All providers should have a complaints procedure, but will welcome an opportunity to discuss what may be going wrong before things get to that stage.

If you need help dealing with a difficult situation, you could seek advice from Sutton Information, Advice and Support Service (SIASS). 

How to appeal
If you decide to appeal, you have to do this within two months from the date of the letter that is sent with the final Education, Health and Care Plan. The Special Education Needs and Disability Tribunal will consider appeals against decisions of local authorities about children’s and young peoples’ SEND when an agreement cannot be reached.

Guidance on how to appeal and application forms can be obtained from

First Tier Tribunal
Mowden Hall
Staindrop Road

Telephone 01325 392 760

The decision of the tribunal is final and binding on parents, carers, young people, the local authority and the school.