Council tax reduction (CTR)

Each Council has its own scheme. If you live in the London Borough of Sutton, you may be able to get help to reduce your council tax bill if you are unemployed or on a low income.

Summary of the Council Tax Reduction Scheme from 1 April 2017

From 01 April 2017 the Council is moving to an income band scheme to calculate working age residents entitlement to council tax reduction. Pensioners are not affected by this change. For full details, please see the summary of council tax reduction.

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme (London Borough of Sutton) 2017 regulations are available under downloads.

You can apply for council tax reduction (CTR) whether you own your home or rent it and we will pay it straight onto your council tax account.

How much you get depends on:

  • whether you have a partner

  • whether you have any dependent children

  • your and/or your partner’s income from working, and from things like benefits and pensions.  

  • whether you pay childcare costs

  • any savings or investments you and/or your partner have. We call this capital

  • the circumstances of other people living with you. For example other adults living in your household. We normally call these people Non-Dependants.

  • how much you Council Tax bill is

If you have more than £10,000 in capital you will not be able to get Council Tax Reduction, unless you are in our Pensioner Scheme. Pensioners are unaffected by the new scheme.

You can work out how much you can get using the benefit calculator. Please note: the calculation depends on you using accurate information and is only an estimate.

If you would like to apply, here you can find out more about starting a claim