Search site

Sutton

Historic information about Sutton


Sutton

Churches

Some Historic Buildings

All Saints Church, Benhilton

Benhilton was originally part of Sutton parish but as the population grew a separate church was needed.

Benhilton National School, Sutton

The school was erected to serve Benhilton Parish shortly after it was created in 1863.

Crown Road School

Crown Road School served the north end of Sutton.

Newtown

Newtown, to the east of Sutton High Street, was laid out by Thomas Alcock as part of the Benhill Estate.

Russettings

Russettings (which is the original name) is one of the best-preserved large Edwardian houses in the Borough.

St Nicholas

St. Nicholas is Suttons ancient parish church and must be one of the two churches in Sutton recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086.

Sutton Baptist Church

The Baptists' first meeting room in Sutton was in the Carshalton Road, around 1862.

Sutton Gas Works

In the 19th century gas was largely used for lighting rather than heating.

Sutton Goods Yard

The Victorian railway carried a huge quantity of goods as it was both quicker and cheaper than horse-drawn carts.

Sutton Green

This was originally the northern tip of Sutton Common - a large area of open land which extended northwards along Sutton Common Road. The green was left as a open space when the common was enclosed at the beginning of the 19th century.

Sutton Station

The first Sutton railway station was opened in 1847 when the London and Brighton Railway constructed a branch line from Croydon to Epsom.

Sutton: A brief history

In the year 1000 the manor of Sutton belonged to the Benedictine Abbey of Chertsey, founded c.666, which stood by the Thames in north-west Surrey.

Sutton: The railway makes a town

In 1841 Sutton had a population of 1,304, a little larger than Cheam but much smaller than Carshalton.

Sutton's Victorian High Street

(1) Sutton's Victorian High Street looking north towards the Cock cross-roads Sutton High Street has changed beyond recognition over the last 200 years.

The Cock Inn, Sutton

The Cock Inn stood by the cross-roads at the top end of Sutton High Street.

The New Inn

The New Inn stands in New Town which was Sutton's first major Victorian suburb.

The South Metropolitan District Schools, Sutton

The building of the South Metropolitan District School started in 1852 to educate poor children from Greenwich, Camberwell St Olaves (Southwark) and Woolwich.

The Sutton to Wimbledon Line

The Wimbledon to Sutton railway was the last local line to be constructed.

The Woodstock

Stonecot Hill (A24), corner of Sutton Common Road, Sutton, Surrey

Trinity United Reformed and Methodist Church

The first Congregational Church in Sutton was established in Marshalls Road, just off the High Street, in 1799.

Victorian Schools in Sutton

At the beginning of the 19th century most children received little education and there were few schools in Sutton.

Water Supply in Sutton

Before the mid-19th century most houses would have had a well from which they could draw water.

West Street National School, Sutton

The West Street National School c.1870. This was built in 1854 at a cost of £1,259 19s.

Manor Park

The name Manor Park suggests that this was originally the grounds of Sutton's Manor House.

Sutton in the Domesday Book

The Domesday book was made in 1086 on the orders of William I.