Search site

Sutton Green

This was originally the northern tip of Sutton Common - a large area of open land which extended northwards along Sutton Common Road. The green was left as a open space when the common was enclosed at the beginning of the 19th century.

Sutton Green Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

Sutton Green for Church's Illustrated Sutton, 1880

Sutton Green 2 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

Victoria Pond at the south end of the Green. A weeping willow was planted on the island to mark Queen Victoria's coronation in 1837.

Sutton Green 3 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

Victoria Pond c.1907

Sutton Green 4 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

The Green around 1900