Newtown, to the east of Sutton High Street, was laid out by Thomas Alcock as part of the Benhill Estate.
It was intended to be a working-class area with small, mostly terraced, houses, in contrast to the Benhill Estate which was very upmarket. It was started around the middle of the 19th century. By 1867 Myrtle Road, Lind Road, William Road, St. Barnabas Road, Vernon Road and Sutton Grove had been laid out and many houses built. Alcock and later developers did not exercise much control. The ground was split up into small plots and the builders erected houses to their own designs. They are full of variety and unusual features.
Lind Road Sutton looking north about 1870. The turning on the right is Vernon Road. On the left a house is being built to fill a gap in the development.
Looking west down Vernon Road c.1879 - 1880
William Road, Sutton in 1974. These are typical of the mixed nature of Houses in Newtown. The house in the foreground is unusually elaborate with fake stone quoins on the corners and decorated window openings. The buildings in the background are much less pretentious terraced houses.
Victoria Cottage, 1887 and Jubilee Villa, Lind Road. These brick terraced houses have been embellished with pargeted cement rendering. Note the terracotta finials and dragon on the top of the front wall. The decorated woodwork around the bay windows is probably original. Note that the decoration is confined to this pair of houses. The buildings in the background are simpler. Variety is typical of Newtown.
Lind Road. A terrace of small houses which would have been built to rent to working class families. Houses like this are often heavily 'improved' when they they become owner occupied, and they then lose their original character.
Larger terraced houses in William Road. These were built between 1867 and 1896 to fill a gap in the original development. Each house has a separate living area in the basement which is locally unusual.
Alexandra Villa, 1 William Road (on the corner with Vernon Road). This remarkable building was constructed on a vacant corner plot between 1896 and 1913. The elaborate decoration consists of stucco and flint work.
Lind Road, c.1905. The Newtown pub (then a hotel) is on the left. Note the gas lamp in the foreground.
Masters' Confectioner's shop, 10 Lind Road. This was one of many small local shops which existed in Newtown in the Victorian times and in the early part of this century. Most have now gone.