Cheam Leisure Centre
Cheam Leisure Centre has provided a venue for local residents to enjoy a variety of leisure pursuits since 1938.
Major improvements to the leisure centre.
Sutton Council is investing £3.3m on major repair works to enable residents to continue to enjoy using the centre well into the future.
The project will see a new roof installed in the swimming pool and vital mechanical and electrical works take place behind the scenes. Several other areas of the centre will also receive a refreshed finish and the facilities are being made more accessible so all ages and abilities can keep fit and active.
The pool will reopen on 30 March 2015.
The work will finish three months later than originally scheduled because the repair of the pool roof structure has been more difficult than anticipated due to its age, condition and the need to use specialised materials. Several structural problems were found once the roof was opened during construction and the area fully assessed.
While the majority of the centre - including the 90-station gym, group exercise studio, activity hall and squash court - have remained open throughout the duration of the work, the swimming pool and changing rooms at Cheam Leisure Centre closed earlier this year to allow the transformation to happen. The centre is operated by Everyone Active.
Where can I swim?
Whilst these works are taking place residents are encouraged to use the new pool at Westcroft Leisure Centre, Carshalton.
The other facilities available at Cheam Leisure Centre including the 90-station gym and group exercise studio will remain open during the works programme.
Entrance to the leisure centre
To ensure the safety of residents and gym users while the works are in progress, the front entrance to the centre from Malden Road will be available for works traffic and pedestrian access only. The principal entrance to the leisure centre, GP centre, pharmacy and day centre, for vehicles and pedestrians, will be via Priory Crescent.
Traffic and parking
We anticipate there will be a certain amount of increased traffic to the rear of the leisure centre as users will be diverted from Malden Road along D'Arcy Road and Priory Road, and there may be more on-street parking by people accessing them. At the same time, the car park will have reduced capacity as some of the space will be used by the construction company for their compound. There will be no parking at the front of the leisure centre as this I being used by the construction company.
We will encourage gym users to walk, cycle or travel by bus to the centre rather than using their cars in order to keep both traffic movements and on-street parking to a minimum.
Dropped kerb enforcement
If you wish to report a vehicle parked in front of your dropped kerb without your permission please ring the council's enforcement contractor, NSL on 020 8661 9645. You will be asked for your name and address and the Civic Enforcement Officer will knock at your door to confirm you are the householder before issuing a Penalty Charge Notice.
Construction working hours
We would like to thank all our residents for their patience and understanding while the works take place and apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are doing all we can to ensure the works are completed as quickly as possible, and in order to achieve this the construction company will be working extending their working hours. They will now work on Monday to Friday from 7am to 6pm and on Saturday from 8am to 6pm. However, once the building is watertight, the majority of works will be inside.
Everyone Active manages Cheam Leisure Centre on behalf of the London Borough of Sutton. For further information on facilities, activities for children, the fitness programme, and where to swim, please contact Cheam Leisure Centre on 020 8644 2891 or visit www.everyoneactive.com
Everyone Active Memberships are available from the centre. There are different memberships to suit everyone's needs. Membership provides unlimited access to facilities at all of the centres including unlimited use of the fitness centres, exercise classes, swimming, health suite, squash and activities at other centres.
Cheam Leisure Centre
Telephone: 0208 644 2891
Fax: 020 8770 4835
E mail: email@example.com
Facilities at Cheam Leisure Centre
- Swimming Pool (30m x 12m) for casual use, inflatable, lessons for children and adults of all abilities and exercise classes (Closed until March 2015)
- Sports Hall
- Everyone Active Fitness Centre
- Over 30 Group Exercise Classes
- Health Suite featuring Sauna and Steam Room for relaxing
- Group Cycling Sessions
- Squash Courts
- Women's Morning
- Sutton Evergreens 50+ Sport Activities and Exercise Classes
- Party / Function Room
- Spectator Viewing Areas
- Car Parking
- Refreshment Vending Service
- Toddlers Football - Thursdays 4pm-5pm. Suited for children aged between 3-5 years old. These sessions are for boys and girls of all abilities. The sessions are taken by Crystal Palace coaches and are the perfect introduction to football for your little ones
- Active Ants - sessions take place every Wednesday between 12,30-2.30pm. These sessions are held in our Sports Hall with all of the Soft Play equipment and Bouncy Castles set up. Our coach will supervise the session and lead for sing and dance sessions.
- Karate - Every Sunday evening we run Karate sessions for children and adults. The martial art is an excellent way of increasing fitness, strength and coordination. Sessions are for adults and children aged 7 and over.
- Judo - We run Judo courses every Monday between 4.15pm-5.45pm. Our club take children of all ages and abilities. The club compete nationally and aim to get all members at a standard when they can compete.
- Birthday Parties - Your child can have an excellent party at Cheam Leisure Centre. The centre offers Swimming Pool parties as well as Soft Play and Trampoline Parties every weekend. Contact the centre for more info.