Search site

Commercial Processes

We are responsible for ensuring, by way of an issued "permit", that prescribed processes designated for local control use, or are implementing, measures to overcome their actual or potential atmospheric emissions.

Industrial Processes

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Local Authorities only deal with part B processes such as vehicle re-sprayers, petrol stations, concrete crushers and batchers, printers and dry cleaners etc. We risk assess and inspect these processes on a yearly basis and more frequently if required. For other processes you will need to contact the Environment Agency. The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation.

A fee may be payable which you can view at LAPPC Charges for 2009/10.

Tacit Consent will not apply It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

Trade Associations

Here are some helpful links to relevant Trade Associations