Youth Offending Team (YOT)
The YOT Team comprises staff from Social Services, Police, Probation, Education, Health and Drug Services.
This team is a law enforcement agency and part of the criminal justice system. It also works with young people at early stages of offending, or who may be at risk of crime or anti social behaviour.
The team also has seconded staff placed in Downview Young Women's Institution (YWI). The YOT contributes to the wider preventative agenda for children and their families to prevent offending.
The Team's work with young offenders aged 10 to 17 years includes:
- Supervision of young offenders sentenced by the courts.
- Prevention of offending and the risk of re-offending in young people.
- Work with young offenders to face the consequences of their offending behaviour, and assist them to understand the impact of their behaviour on their victims, their families and themselves.
- Work with young offenders in making reparation to the victims of crime and with parents of young offenders, reinforcing their parental responsibilities.
- Work within the YWI to ensure the young women's needs are met while in custody and to ensure that appropriate plans are in place for there released back into the community.