Search site


Our planning department deals with Planning applications, Enforcement action, Tree Work applications & Local authority searches for property transactions within the borough.

DRAFT Local Validation Checklist

The Excel document below contains the DRAFT Local Validation Checklist. We are happy to receive any comments you wish to make. A formal consultation, which will include more detailed notes, will commence shortly.

excel icon DRAFT Validation Checklist [22kb]

Larger Home Extensions: Neighbour Consultation Scheme

Until 30 May 2016 (for a dwellinghouse that benefits from permitted development rights), single storey extensions at the rear of a house can be built up to the following limits under permitted development rights:

  • Where the extension does not project more than 8 metres beyond the rear wall of the original house on a detached property and 6 metres on any other type of property.
  • Where the extension does not exceed 4 metres in height.
  • Where the extension is within 2 metres of the boundary of the house, the eaves are not more than 3 metres in height.

Note: To benefit from the new allowances, the developer must submit a prior approval application.

It is not possible to build up to the new limits without any formal consent (which is usually the case for rear extensions up to 4 metres on a detached property and up to 3 metres on other properties).

Please see the information below for more details and how to apply.

pdf icon Advice Note for Prior Approval [71kb]

pdf icon Prior Approval Application Form [130kb]

pdf icon DCLG Guidance on Prior Approval [104kb]

Community Right to Bid

What is Community Right to Bid?

Under the Localism Act, voluntary and community organisations can nominate an asset to be included on a list of 'assets of community value'. This list is managed by the local authority.

If the owner of a listed asset wants to sell the asset, a six month moratorium period will be triggered during which the asset cannot be sold.

This period gives community groups some time to develop a proposal and raise the required capital to bid for the property when it comes onto the open market at the end of the moratorium period.

What is an asset of community value?

The Regulations state that, with the exception of residential properties, any building or land may be listed if, in the opinion of the local planning authority, the primary current use of the property 'furthers the social well-being or social interests of the community'. 

An asset can be either a building or piece of land. It will be considered to have community value by the council if:

  • the use of the land or building currently, or in the recent past, contributes to the social well-being or cultural, recreational or sporting interests of the local community
  • this use (as described above) of the building will continue to further the social well-being or interests of the local community
  • the use of the building or land must not be deemed 'ancillary', i.e. of secondary purpose. This means that the use of the land or building to further social well-being or interests of the community must be its principle use.

How can I nominate an asset?

Anyone proposing to buy or sell a property which might be described as an "asset of community value" should be aware of the Assets of Community Value (England) Regulations 2012 . The Regulations provide that on a sale of a listed asset, the local community must be given an opportunity to bid for and take ownership of the property so that qualifying buildings and land can continue to serve their valuable community function

To nominate an asset as an asset of community value, please fill out the pdf icon Nomination Form [99kb]. Please include as much information as possible to aid the council in making a decision.

1. An asset (land or building) is identified as being of social value.

2. A nomination form is submitted to the council.

3. The council then has 8 weeks to consider this nomination and to decide if the asset is listed on the Register of Community Assets for a minimum period of five years.

4. If the council decides that the land or building is an asset of community value the council will place the asset onto the local land charges register and if registered, will apply for a restriction on the land register.

5. If the council do not agree that the building or land has community value, the building or land must be placed upon the Register of Community Assets as nominated but not listed.

6. The council MUST inform the community or voluntary group of the decision within 8 weeks of receiving the nomination in writing. 

7. If an appeal is requested from the landowner (for non council owned property and land), an internal review (within the council) by a separate officer must be made within 28 days of notification of the appeal.

8. If the asset is listed, the council MUST inform the community group if it comes up for sale.

9. The group must then prepare themselves for making a bid.

10. If the owner decides to sell the asset, an interim moratorium period of six weeks will ensue during which time, the community interest group must request in writing to be treated as a potential bidder for the asset. If the request is received in writing then a full moratorium period of six months will ensure during which time the land owner will not be able to sell the building. After this period the building will be sold under normal market conditions and at market rate.

What happens if an asset I own is nominated as an 'asset of community value?

If the council receives a nomination for an asset that is privately owned, we will inform the landowner or building owner of the initial nomination and after the final decision has been made. If you disagree with this decision, you will be able to request a review.

If the property or land is listed as an 'asset of community value' a legal charge will be placed on it. You will not be able to sell the property or land without informing the council. If within 6 weeks of you informing the Council a community or voluntary group expresses an interest in the property or land, a moratorium period of six months will follow during which time a community group or voluntary group will have the opportunity to raise the capital required to submit a bid to purchase the property or land. After this moratorium period, the landowner or building owner will be able to sell the land or property at market value under normal market conditions.

Planning Portal

Apply for planning permission
Guidelines for development that can be done without the need for Planning Permission
Building regulations resources for England and Wales

Planning Development Control

Development Control deal with all Planning applications, Enforcement action and Tree Work applications.

Local Land Charges

NDR The Local Land Charges Service processes all local authority searches for property transactions within the borough. We work with solicitors, Personal Search agents, and some members of the public who do their own conveyancing.

Online Planning Register

View plans and documents on current and decided planning applications
Comment on an application

A Guide to Online Planning Applications

Find out how to view all Registered Planning Applications submitted after 1st December 2005 which are either current, decided or under appeal.

Planning Policy

Urban Design Conference The Strategic Planning service is responsible for preparing the Council's planning policies and proposals to guide the future development of the Borough.

Weekly List of Planning Applications

Receive the Weekly List of all Planning applications via email