Search site

Enforcement of Planning Control

sutton planning

Enforcement within Planning Development Control is used to address breaches of planning control when development is carried out without planning permission or not in accordance with planning permission that has been granted

Planning enforcement notices may be served when development is carried out without planning permission, or not in accordance with planning permission that has been granted. The Planning Legislation provides the Council with discretionary powers to take enforcement action. Co-operation is sought before taking any action. Failing this we can issue an enforcement notice to stop work or ensure that the terms of the planning permission granted are complied with. Failure to comply with an Enforcement Notice is an offence and may be subject to a fine. An appeal can be made against an Enforcement Notice.

Situations which can be considered for planning enforcement include:

  • Unauthorised buildings or structures
  • Unauthorised advertisements
  • Unauthorised uses
  • Unauthorised work to protected trees
  • Unauthorised work to Listed Buildings
  • Compliance with conditions imposed on any planning permission

Not all development requires planning permission, as the works, or change of use, may not require planning permission or it may be Permitted Development under the Planning Legislation.

In cases where enforcement action is taken the Council will serve a Notice on the owners and occupiers of the site and others with an interest in the land.

We liaise with:

  • Building Control
  • Environmental Health on noise and air pollution
  • Highways
  • Housing and Trading Standards

View a chart of the pdf icon Enforcement Process [135kb] (PDF - 135 KB).

Complaints about Unauthorised Development

Complaints about an unauthorised development must be made in writing to Enforcement, Development Services at Denmark Road, Carshalton SM5 2JG, with the following urgent exceptions:

To report a breach online click below:

Planning control breach This link opens in a new browser window

*Please note - Anonymous complaints will not be investigated.

Please give as much of the following information as you are able:

  • The full address or other location of the site, with directions if remote or difficult
  • Name of the owner or occupiers if known
  • Your name and contact address
  • The nature of your complaint
  • When the use started/when the building work started
  • Any other information that you can give