Search site

Change in Circumstances

If you do not tell us about changes in your circumstances, you could be paid too much housing benefit and/or council tax reduction and be held responsible for paying back any overpayments. You could lose out if the change means you are entitled to more housing benefit or council tax reduction.

You can no longer report changes in circumstances by completing a form, or speaking to an adviser, at the Civic Offices.

To report a change in any of your circumstances, which you think will or can affect your housing benefit and/or council tax reduction, you must either complete the Benefits - Change of Circumstances Notification online form or call us on 020 8770 5000. Here are some examples of changes which can affect your entitlements:

  • changes to your income, wages or savings
  • changes to your Tax Credits
  • changes to your pension
  • changes to other people's income living in your home
  • someone else moves into your property
  • you have a change of address
  • your children leaving school or starting work
  • anyone in your household going into hospital
  • leaving the country
  • birth of a child
  • changes to the amount of rent you pay.

It is your responsibility to tell us if your Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance stops. The Department of Work and Pensions is not responsible for telling us about this type of change.

You must advise us of the change in writing and provide original documents to support the change.

You can use the Benefit Calculator to see how a change may affect your housing benefits or council tax reduction.

Report a change in your circumstances now. 

If you get some housing benefit or council tax reduction but are having difficulty paying the rest of your rent yourself, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

What is an extended payment?

This is awarded if a claimant starts working; and the work is expected to last 5 weeks or more and is for 16 hours or more.

Housing Benefit - New Claims Performance

Here you can see our actual Changes in Circumstances Performance, during 2009, compared to our target & the industry standard projections.

Moving away temporarily?

Please see here if you are temporarily moving away.

Why would a claim need to be suspended?

Please see here to find out why a benefit claim may need to be suspended.