Search site

Housing Benefit - Overpayments

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit there are strict time limits for repayment to avoid further action and if you wish to dispute your overpayment. Please read these notes carefully for more information.

What is overpaid Housing Benefit?

An overpayment is any amount of Housing Benefit that we have paid to you or paid to a third party on your behalf, to which you are not entitled.

Why do I have to repay my overpayment?

All money owed to the Council affects the services we can offer our residents with the budgets we have and, ultimately, the level that our Council Tax is set at each year.

From whom is an overpayment recoverable?

Each case is looked at individually when deciding on whether an overpayment is recoverable and who we recover it from.

What if I disagree with my overpayment?

When an overpayment is created on your claim, we will send you notification letters telling you about the reassessment of your claim and the overpayment caused. These notification letters give you one month to write in and request that we reconsider your claim.

How is benefit recovered from the tenant?

If you are still eligible to receive Housing Benefit, we make deductions from your weekly entitlement to reduce your overpayment, even if you have moved from our borough and claim Housing Benefit from another Local Authority.

How is benefit recovered from the landlord?

If you are a Landlord that owes an overpayment and you receive Housing Benefit for any other tenants, we can recover your overpayment for one tenant from the Benefit payable in respect of another.

What will happen if an overpayment is not repaid?

We can apply to the Department of Work and Pensions to make deductions from certain State Benefits you may receive. From some Benefits we can deduct up to a third of your income to recover our overpayment.

How to contact us?

If you disagree with your claim assessment or overpayment calculations, please call Revenues & Benefits Customer Services on 020 8770 5444. Or to discuss a repayment arrangement please contact the Income Management Team...