Cognus Ltd provides all of Sutton’s School Support Services. They cover a wide variety of services including ‘statutory’ services on behalf of the Local Authority as well as traded services that schools can buy should the wish to. There is more information about the services that Cognus provide on their website. In addition to the Cognus website, there are a number of pages on the LBS website that relate to statutory services.
Cognus Limited was spun out from the London Borough of Sutton in November 2016 as a stand-alone limited company. The London Borough is the main shareholder of the company (75%) with the remaining shares (25%) owned by shareholder schools in Sutton.
The background to the spin out was in line with Government policy which sees a reducing role for Local Authorities, and in the context of reducing financial resources, a mechanism by which Sutton’s school support services could be coherently grouped together whilst opening up new income generating opportunities to supplement those services. For more information visit the about us pages of their website.
The local authority has a duty to make sure that parents undertake the responsibility of their child of compulsory school age to attend school regularly. In Sutton, this duty is carried out by the Borough School Attendance Service (BSAS).
All schools have admission criteria to decide which children get places. Find out more information about the determined admissions arrangements.
The free childcare entitlement is a government grant that enables all children aged three and four, and eligible two year-olds, to have free nursery education each year until they reach compulsory school age.