The rewards of being a governor
Governors gain a great deal from the work and time they contribute. It gives them an opportunity to:
- make a difference to how well the school runs
- see how their efforts help raise standards
- do something positive for the next generation
- serve the local community
- help realise their own potential by learning new skills
Everyone has skills to offer as a governor, however, many governors find that they gain personally too. From meeting new people to gaining new skills and most importantly the knowledge that you are helping to improve educational standards for children and young people in your area.
Many employers also encourage staff to become school governors. They realise that the skills gained from being a governor are transferable to the workplace. Please discuss with your employer what support they can offer you.
Merton and Sutton Governor Support Services
Children, Schools and Families
Merton Civic Centre
Tel: 020 8545 3307 / 3118 / 3923
Fax: 020 8545 3260