Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
As a local authority, we are required by law to have a Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE). The origins of SACRE go back to the Education Act of 1944 and were strengthened their place in local authorities by the Education Reform Act 1988 and the Education Act 1996.
The responsibilities of the SACRE are to:
- provide advice to the Council on all aspects of its provision for religious education (RE) in its schools (not including voluntary aided schools)
- decide whether the Council's agreed syllabus for RE needs to be reviewed and to ensure we do so
- provide advice to the Council on collective worship in its schools (not including voluntary aided or voluntary controlled schools)
- consider any requests from headteachers to hold collective worship that is not of a broadly Christian character
- advise on matters relating to training for teachers in RE and collective worship
The Agreed Syllabus
Religious education (RE) is a statutory requirement for all schools but it is not part of the national curriculum. We have the responsibility for devising the syllabus used for RE in the maintained schools in the borough. SACRE holds an agreed syllabus conference to review the syllabus every five years.
The Sutton Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education for KS1/KS2 and KS3 were reviewed in 2015 and 2017 and has now been further reviewed in 2020/2021in line with the requirements of the Education Act and now contains a new section on Assessment as guidance for schools.
Agendas and Minutes of Meetings:
Please select the meeting agendas and minutes you would like to read from below.
- Agenda for meeting 15-5-18
- Minutes for meeting 15-5-18
- Agenda for meeting Nov 18
- Minutes for meeting Nov 18
- Agenda for meeting Feb 19
- Minutes for meeting Feb 19
- Agenda for meeting Jun 19
- Minutes for meeting Jun 19
- Agenda for meeting Nov 19
- Minutes for meeting Nov 19
- Agenda for meeting Mar 20
- Minutes for meeting Mar 20
- Agenda for meeting June 20
- Minutes for meeting June 20
SACRE Annual Reports:
Please select the annual reports you would like to review from below.
For 2018 SACRE have produced a guide for schools on Collective Worship.
WIRE Award (Widening Inclusivity in Religious Education)
The WIRE Award is an initiative run by Sutton SACRE to help schools develop their RE provision and be recognised for doing so.
For information, please see how to work towards the WIRE Award.
For more information and any other documents that you might like to access, please contact the RE Consultant Penny Smith-Orr on 020 8653 8606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.