As a local authority, we are required by law to have a Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE). The origins of SACRE go back to the Education Act of 1944 and were strengthened their place in local authorities by the Education Reform Act 1988 and the Education Act 1996.
The responsibilities of the SACRE are to:
- provide advice to the Council on all aspects of its provision for religious education (RE) in its schools (not including voluntary aided schools)
- decide whether the Council's agreed syllabus for RE needs to be reviewed and to ensure we do so
- provide advice to the Council on collective worship in its schools (not including voluntary aided or voluntary controlled schools)
- consider any requests from headteachers to hold collective worship that is not of a broadly Christian character
- advise on matters relating to training for teachers in RE and collective worship
The agreed syllabus
Religious education (RE) is a statutory requirement for all schools but it is not part of the national curriculum. We have the responsibility for devising the syllabus used for RE in the maintained schools in the borough. SACRE holds an agreed syllabus conference to review the syllabus every five years.
The KS1/KS2 and KS3 syllabuses were reviewed in 2015 and 2017 (respectively and each school has been sent a copy of the appropriate revised agreed syllabus.
- Sutton Agreed Syllabus for Primary (KS1/KS2)
- Intro to Sutton Agreed Syllabus for Secondary
- Content Sutton Agreed Syllabus for Secondary
Agendas and Minutes of Meetings:
Please select the meeting agendas and minutes you would like to read from below.
- Agenda for meeting 15-5-18
- Minutes for meeting 15-5-18
- Agenda for meeting 7-11-17
- Minutes for meeting 7-11-17
- Agenda for meeting 19-06-17
- Minutes for meeting 19-06-17
SACRE Annual Reports:
Please select the annual reports you would like to review from below.
For 2018 SACRE have produced a guide for schools on Collective Worship.
For more information and any other documents that you might like to access, please contact the RE Consultant Penny Smith-Orr on 020 8653 8606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.