Local libraries - Sutton Central Library
More in "Local libraries"
- Local libraries and opening times
- Sutton Central Library
- Cheam Library
- Library @ The Life Centre
- Library @ the Phoenix Centre
- Library @ Westcroft Centre
- The Circle Library
- Wallington Library
- Worcester Park Library
- Housebound Library Service
- Library services for visually impaired people
- Facts and figures about our libraries
Monday: 9:00am - 8pm
Tuesday: 9.00am - 8pm
Wednesday: 9.00am - 8pm
Thursday: 9.00am - 8pm
Friday: 9.00am - 5pm
Saturday: 9.00am - 5pm
Sunday: 1pm - 4.30pm
Sutton Library is the largest library in the borough. It was extensively refurbished in 2004 to meet the changing needs of the modern customer.
- A Reader's Lounge
- IT facilities, including scanning, printing and free wifi
- Self-service for book issue and return
- Audiobook collection
- Study space
- A dedicated children’s library
- A teenage library with comfy seating and study tables
- An all year round events programme covering a wide variety of interests
The library has level access from Cheam Road. Access from St Nicholas Way is via a ramp. From the High Street use the underpass and ramps to access the Civic Offices lift, which will take you to the library.
Blue Badge holders can park in the Civic Offices car park adjacent to the library building. Please follow the instructions at the barrier and park in the designated bays. Access to the library is via the lift in the Civic Offices. Disabled parking bays are also available in the Gibson Road car park.
The library is fully accessible with lifts to all floors.
There are two disabled toilets.
On the ground floor there is a selection of large print books. There is a CCTV/print magnifier. This enlarges text. It allows you to view documents with black type on white or white type on black. Shadow masking and text highlighting makes it easier to read columns, such as bank statements or text on prescriptions or pill bottles.
On the first floor there are talking books on CD and cassette.
The library is divided into four main areas:
- Page One - on the ground floor, where busy customers can quickly browse through the latest releases and best sellers and can issue and return books using the self-service machines. Page One also incorporates an area specifically designed for those who prefer books in large print.
- Media Too - on the first floor, where you will find a large collection of audiobooks. This is also the location for the Teenage Library Project: the section for older teenagers.
- The Children's Library – on level 1A, caters for babies, toddlers & parents, older children and young teenagers and includes baby changing facilities.
- Library@Sutton – on the second floor, offers a more traditional library area for those who wish to browse or study in a quiet environment. This area offers a wide range of fiction, poetry, drama and the classics; as well as a comprehensive collection of information and reference volumes.
- IT Suite- on level 2A, is equipped with thirty computers - running MS Office software and providing access to the internet and printing and scanning facilities.
- Local Studies Centre, on level 2A, which gives access to the local studies collection and the borough's archives.