Bookstart is based on the belief that it's never too soon to share books with babies and that children exposed to books at an early age will start school with an advantage that can last throughout their life.
The following packs are available:
- Bookstart for children aged 8 months
- Bookstart Treasure Chest for children aged 3 years
1. Your first Bookstart pack for children aged 8 months
Available from libraries, your health visitor and from Sutton Children's Information Service. Please bring your red child health book with you to collect a pack.
- Babies can join the library and borrow books free of charge.
- Share a story and a cuddle for a few minutes everyday. Your baby will love feeling close to you.
- Dads and grandparents read great stories too!
- Sutton's libraries have rhyme times for babies from 0-15 months. Telephone 020 8770 4700 for more information.
Available from libraries and Sutton Children's Information Service. Please bring your red child health book with you to collect a pack.
- Sharing stories helps children learn to concentrate, a great start for school.
- There are lots of stories that can help a child deal with a new situation, like a first day at school or a new baby. All staff will be happy to help you find the book you need.
- Sometimes point to the words as you read. Your child will start to recognise the direction words and stories go across the page.
- Don't forget to come to the library. Sutton's libraries have lots of storytimes and activities for pre-school children. Telephone 020 8770 4700 for more information.
3. Booktouch packs for visually impaired children
Booktouch packs for children under four years who are visually impaired. For more information, or to collect your child's pack, please contact: Lindsey McFarlane on 020 8770 4766 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Bookshine packs for hearing impaired children.
Bookshine is a free pack of books and guidance materials aiming to encourage a love of books in deaf children of 0-4 years. If you feel your child would benefit from a pack, please contact: Lindsey McFarlane on 020 8770 4766 or email@example.com.