What is a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ)?
A CPZ is an area where parking controls are introduced to protect the parking needs of residents and their visitors, as well as those of local businesses.
In a CPZ, parking bays are marked on the carriageway to indicate to motorists where they can park.
The operational times for the single yellow lines are indicated on signs as you enter the zone. (Double yellow line restrictions do not require signs.) In the absence of loading restrictions you may stop on a yellow line to load or unload goods for a limited period of time.
In a CPZ, residents and their visitors are given priority to use the appropriate parking places by displaying a valid permit or voucher in respect of that zone. However, a parking permit does not give the holder the right to park outside a particular premises, and does not guarantee an available parking space.
If you're a local resident or business owner in a CPZ, you'll need to buy a permit to park. (This helps manage the demand for our limited street parking.) In some areas you can also pay for parking using a 'pay and display' ticket.
In a CPZ
- all streets are subject to parking controls as indicated on the zone entry signs or signs located near the restrictions
- kerb sides are marked out as permit holders only, or pay and display parking, or with yellow line restrictions
- each CPZ has different operational hours and some have different time restrictions for different parts of the zone.
You know when you're entering a CPZ as there are large street signs at the entrance to each one. The signs will tell you:
- what zone you’re in
- the hours when parking is restricted
- when waiting is not allowed on single yellow lines
Is my street in a CPZ?
To check what controlled parking zones operate in Sutton please check our online map.
You can check if your street is in a CPZ by looking at our eligibility checker.
There are four CPZ zones in Sutton
- Belmont CPZ
- Sutton Town Centre CPZ
- Wellington Avenue CPZ (including Lingfield Road)
- Longfellow Road CPZ
Request a CPZ
If you think a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) is needed in your street please contact us by completing our online form. Give us as much detail as possible about the problem. You may also wish to talk to your neighbours and submit a petition.
Your request will be kept on file until we have received a number of requests from the same area. If we receive a number of requests we may contact your local Councillors and ask to take the request forward with funding and consultation.
CPZ permit costs
- permits are valid for one year
- each household can have up to 3 permits within one year
- prices depend on whether it's your first, second or third vehicle with a resident permit in that year and other criteria