What type of parking restrictions are being considered?

We are considering a range of different parking restrictions, the most important ones are explained below.

Resident Permit Parking zones such as Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs) or Permit Parking Areas (PPAs) mean that, during the operational hours, parking is restricted to permit holders. CPZs and PPAs may also include some areas of yellow line restriction (see below).  Whilst CPZs and PPAs are very similar, they have some important differences.  The most important difference is that CPZs limit permit holders to specific parking bays whereas PPAs do not define specific parking bays.

In some zones we also have pay and display bays and shared use bays, which allow permit holders and paid-for parking.

Yellow line waiting restrictions help traffic to move freely and also improve road safety.  We are considering these within permit zones and also on their own in other areas.

Double yellow lines mean that parking is restricted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in other words ‘at any time’.  Single yellow lines mean that at some time during the day parking is restricted.

Who would be entitled to a Resident Parking Permit?

Anyone whose address is included in the Traffic Management Order (TMO) for a Resident Parking Zone can apply for a Resident Parking Permit. The vehicle, that the application is being made for, must be registered to the householder at the qualifying address within the relevant Zone.  A maximum of three permits per household is allowed.

During the scheme design certain properties may be excluded from being eligible for permits due to a number of factors such as sufficient private parking already being available or there being planning restrictions in place preventing the issue of permits. The properties eligible will be made clear through the formal consultation process.  

How much will a permit cost?

Resident Permit costs are standardised across Sutton and are based on vehicle type, fuel type and Co2 emissions. download our current pricing structure . To check your vehicle type, fuel type and Co2 emissions please consult your vehicles V5 document or you can also find this information online using the vehicle tax checker from Gov.uk.  Permit prices in Sutton are amongst the lowest in London.

A PPA is proposed in my area. What does that mean?

A PPA is an alternative to a CPZ scheme. In a PPA all streets are subject to parking controls and vehicles may park only when displaying a valid permit for that PPA during the operational hours.  The operational times of the PPA are indicated on entry signs as you enter the area/zone with residents and their visitors being given priority throughout the hours of operation.  A PPA generally allows for more parking capacity as bays are not formally marked and residents are able to park across their dropped kerbs (vehicle cross-overs) during the operational hours.  Double yellow lines will still be used for safety reasons, for example at junctions, bends, cul-de-sacs etc. There are generally no marked bays in a PPA, however additional bays can be introduced, or retained where they already exist, such as time limited free bays, loading bays or disabled bays. These bays will be marked out and signed appropriately.

Have you changed your N1 van parking policy?

We implemented the N1 policy in September 2016 to discourage companies using residential streets to park their fleet vehicles. The policy was aimed at prioritising residential parking spaces for residents' vehicles, and came in response to resident concerns that there were too many commercial vehicles parking in CPZ areas. As a result of feedback from residents as part of the Parking Strategy consultations, a decision has been taken to revoke the N1 policy. This means resident permits will be granted for company vehicles, with vehicle type N1, provided it is being solely used by a resident of the zone. The new policy will apply to all existing and any future controlled parking zones, subject to the necessary statutory consultation and procedures.

What about visitors? How will they be able to park near my property?

Visitor vouchers will be made available to enable your visitors to park within the zone during operational hours. Sutton is one of very few Local Authorities that offers an annual allocation of free visitor vouchers, with each household within the zone receiving 50 free hours of visitor vouchers per annum. Additional visitor vouchers can be purchased online for £61 for 100 hours, the standard price across Sutton. You can find out more about visitor permits here.

I am a disabled Blue Badge holder, will anything change?

Blue badge holders are required to display a parking permit in Permit Only bays or Permit Parking Areas, unless they are parked in a designated disabled bay. National guidelines apply including parking free in any shared use bay, or on-street pay-and-display bay or for a maximum of three hours on a single or double yellow line as long as there are no loading restrictions and you are not causing an obstruction and display the time clock.  Remember to check any signs for restrictions when parking.

Will my Carer be affected?

We offer special permits for Carers. For more information on carers permits visit our parking permits page 

Will anything change for my business?

Nothing will change.  We do not offer business permits, however businesses can use pay and display bays, loading bays and loading areas, subject to any restrictions.

As a business, what if goods need to be loaded or unloaded?

Loading and unloading of goods is permitted within any parking bays, or PPA, and also on yellow lines (except where loading restrictions apply), for up to 20 minutes, as long as vehicles or packages don’t cause any obstructions or danger for other road users and the loading/unloading activity is continuous.

As a motorbike owner, how will I be affected?

If you are in a CPZ or PPA, you will need to purchase a Resident Parking Permit, or park on private land or private driveway.

What if I don’t want you to change anything and leave things as they are?

As part of the consultation across the three geographical areas there are multiple opportunities for residents to provide feedback about proposals in their area, including responding to the two online surveys. We then formally take your response into consideration when analysing the results before deciding on next steps.  We want to hear from as many residents as possible, although feedback from residents is not the only factor we will consider when deciding what proposals to implement.

What if I have a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) or if I want one in the future?

Our Vehicle Crossover Policy and information on how you apply for one can be found at the following link: Vehicle Crossing Policy

In CPZs, in order to prevent dropped kerb obstruction, bays will not be placed across existing vehicle crossovers however a single yellow waiting restriction (operating during the controlled hours) will be placed on the road to restrict parking during the controlled hours.

New crossovers will not normally be permitted in CPZs unless they can be implemented without changes to existing bays or other restrictions.

In a PPA, parking across dropped kerbs is permitted, during the controlled hours, provided a permit is displayed and the vehicle is parked in accordance with any signs in place.

New crossovers will only be permitted in PPAs if they can be implemented without changes to existing parking restrictions.

What will the revenue generated from permits be used for?

All Controlled Zones must be self-funding as no core council funding is legally permitted to be used to implement, maintain and operate them.

Legislation restricts use of permit revenue to the implementation (consultation, legal traffic order processes, installation of signs and lines), maintenance (refreshing of signs and lines, update of electronic systems to facilitate permit issues etc) and operation (administration of permit issue and provision of dedicated enforcement resources to enforce the zone).

Any surplus generated after all these costs are taken into account is restricted by legislation to be reinvested in highways/travel related services and projects such as resurfacing our roads or making them safer. We are legally obliged to produce an annual parking financial statement.

What if I live on a private road?

If you live on a private road or estate within a PPA or CPZ, you will not automatically be entitled to a permit to park on the public highway in the zone.  The council will consider a range of factors before agreeing which of these residents should be allowed to acquire permits, before each new zone is set up.  The Traffic Management Order (TMO) will clearly set out which properties are included.  The council is not able to enforce parking restrictions on your private road or estate.

What is a traffic management order (TMO)?

TMOs are statutory legal documents made by the council under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.  They are used to regulate and enforce highways traffic measures and parking.

There are four main types of TMOs. The proposals for the parking strategy are known as a “permanent order”.

What is the difference between informal consultation and a statutory consultation?

An informal consultation can involve a variety of informal public participation activities including public meetings, surveys or online polls. A statutory consultation involves a formal approach underpinned by legislation and specific regulatory steps to take. 

What happens when publishing a TMO proposal?

Before making a TMO, the council must consult with the public, emergency services and other statutory bodies and duly consider any representations received. TMOs are advertised in the local press and London Gazette. Notices will also be placed on lamp posts or signposts in the areas affected. 

How do I comment on a TMO?

Anyone wanting to comment on the proposal for the 7 PPAs for Geographical Area 1 must do so within 21 days (by Thursday, July 25). To comment, you can do so by either:

* Filling in the online form or

* In writing to Parking Strategy, Highways & Transport, London Borough of Sutton, 24 Denmark Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM52JG. 

You can also view the public notice, proposed TMO, detailed plans and the council’s Statement of Reasons at the Environment, Housing and Regeneration Offices, London Borough of Sutton, 24 Denmark Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 2JG between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. 

How does the council decide if a TMO proposal will be implemented?

The council is required to give weight to the nature and content of your individual representations and not necessarily the quantity. Your reasons for supporting or objecting to the proposals are therefore important to us.