Disabled Children's Services

I-COUNT card

What is I COUNT? Which children can be registered on I COUNT, and what are the benefits?

I COUNT is a Register of Disabled Children and Young People who live in the area. The Children Act 1989 required all local authorities to establish a register of children with a disability in their area. This will then be used to assist service planning to meet the needs of children with disabilities and their families. When a child is able to register they can access the services offered by the Disabled Children's Service. Other advantages include:

  • Children get an I COUNT card which many organisations accept as proof of disability, enabling concessions, fast-tracking and assistance to be obtained more easily.
  • Agencies like Health, Education and Social Services have much better information about the needs of disabled children in their area. This helps them to fund and develop the best possible services.

The eligibility for registration to I COUNT is:

  • Diagnosis of a disability that permanent and substantial.
  • Child/young person must be resident in Sutton area.
  • Child/young person is aged 18 years or younger.

Please view the I COUNT Eligibility Criteria for more information. 

Please visit the I COUNT website to view information on how to register.

I-COUNT and disabled children's support panel guidelines

  • child/young person is identified as potentially meeting threshold as a child with a disability and able to receive short breaks
  • I COUNT application information found on www.sutton.gov.uk/disabledchildren  If the child is likely to meet the threshold an application should be completed and sent to for a decision about inclusion on the I COUNT register
  • I COUNT application is considered at the I COUNT panel which is held monthly, if registered an I COUNT card is sent out to the family. and the child is considered as eligible for Short Breaks. If families do not wish to have an I COUNT card they will need to supply information that will inform a decision about whether a child is registerable as a child with a disability
  • once a child is  I Count registered or registerable, an Early Help Assessment Tool (EHAT) is necessary to apply for Short Breaks. This form is available on www.sutton.gov.uk/disabledchildren, once completed it should be submitted to the Disabled Children’s Support Panel. The EHAT form should  be completed by a professional who knows the child best; usually school staff in co-operation with parents/carers.  Parents/carers are required to sign the form for it to be submitted
  • once the Disabled Children’s Service has received a completed EHAT and I COUNT registration or registerable status is confirmed, a request for Short Breaks is submitted to the Disabled Children’s Support Panel (DCSP)
  • families and relevant providers are notified by letter of the decision made by the Disabled Children’s Support Panel. If services have been agreed, details of how these will commence and who to contact will be included in the decision letter
  • services are usually reviewed either 6 monthly or annually. We will notify you when the review is due and what action is required. Reviews are generally alternated between the Short Breaks Assessment, completed by school one year, and the Self Assessment, completed by parents/carers the next. If review documents are not received this will delay a decision by the DCS support panel and may result in a delay in the continuation of funding from Children with Disabilities
rating button