Take part in research

We would like to talk with residents about their online experience with Sutton Council. If you would like to take part in research to help us improve the website and online services

Please complete our short survey

Maintaining or adapting your home

Your right to a healthy home

There are many potential health risks in the home that we need to be aware of. Under the Housing Act 2004 local councils have the power to enforce action to be taken by a landlord when there is a hazard.

Councils use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to assess homes for potential hazards. If a hazard is found the local authorities will either take action themselves or make sure the landlord does.

The Housing Act 2004 allows local councils to have power over private landlords and enables them to give notice to a landlord stating what needs to be done to rectify a hazard and when it has to be done by.

If you think there is a health hazard in your home, you should notify your landlord. If they do nothing, you should notify them again and alert them that you will be contacting the environmental health department if they do not make an effort to fix the hazard by a certain date. The charity Shelter has more advice on what to do if your rented home is in a poor stage of repair.

If you feel that your landlord is not taking your concerns seriously then contact your local environmental health team.

For more information advice about health issues in your home, visit the page on maintaining a healthy home.