Are you a young carer? | Young carers | Sutton Council
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) : Latest information and advice

What is the current situation with the COVID -19 (Coronavirus) and where to find more information.

Information from the London Borough of Sutton

Young carers

Are you a young carer?

Are you under 18 and looking after someone in your family who is ill or disabled? This may be a parent, a brother or sister or a grandparent. Maybe you help by staying at home a lot to be there for them, helping them get washed or dressed, perhaps translating and interpreting for them, or doing lots of cleaning, shopping and cooking.

If this sounds like you, then you are a young carer. It may seem a strange way to describe yourself, because looking after someone in your family may feel like a natural role. But being a carer means you have a right to help and support to make life easier.

Looking after someone can be stressful

It can be stressful as well as hard work looking after someone, even when you love them. And it can make it harder to keep up with things at school or to find time for yourself to relax, have fun or see your friends.

Help from the council

As a young carer you are entitled to get help and support from your council. The council will not be looking to stop from you from supporting the person you look after, nor to separate you from that person. They will ask you what sort of support you would like to make your life and your caring role easier.

There are two ways in which you can get help from your council:

  1. If you are under the age of 18 you can have a children's assessment - this will aim to help you to find ways that will allow you to concentrate on your education, see your friends and have a normal childhood. 
  2. If you are looking after a person over the age of 18 you are entitled to a carer's assessment - this will aim to find ways in which you can be supported in your caring role. To have an assessment you can complete a self-assessment form and submit it to Sutton council or you can call the Contact Centre on 020 8770 6080 to request a face-to-face carer's assessment. If you prefer, you can ask someone you know to contact the council for you - maybe a friend or relative, a teacher, or your family doctor. Don't be afraid to ask - it is important to get the help you are entitled to.

Other information and advice

Sutton Young Carers Service provides specialist support for young carers, including information, advice and lots of other support services. Find out more about what they offer, or refer yourself or a young carer for support, by looking at the website, or by getting in touch.

Telephone: 020 8296 5611 / Email:

Carers Direct has videos, carers' stories and lots of useful information for young carers.

The Children's Society provides information, advice and support for young carers across the country.

Barnardos provides support and information for young carers.

Carers Trust offers information for young carers.

Sibs supports children and young people who have a brother or sister with a disability. Young Sibs is a dedicated website aimed at children and young people.