A greener borough
Our vision for a greener borough
Sutton will continue to be a green borough, and by 2025 our aim is for our trees and green spaces to be better protected and connected through 'green corridors' for people and nature. This includes parks, woodlands, nature reserves, trees, rivers, wetlands, green roofs, green walls, private gardens and grass verges. There will be no overall reduction of green space in the borough. The resoration of the Beddington Farmlands landfill site will be completed by 2023, creating one of the largest nature reserves in London.
- No overall reduction of green space in the borough.
- Plant 2,000 trees between 2018 and 2022.
An action plan will be used to monitor the delivery of the using less energy chapter. This will be reviewed and updated annually.
Actions you can take
If you’ve got a garden, balcony or window-sill:
- Garden organically and use natural pest-control measures.
- Leave space for wildlife - plant bee-friendly flowers, put up bird boxes, have a bird bath, cut a hole in your fence for hedgehogs and encourage your neighbours to do the same.
- Plant a tree - even in a pot. There are trees suitable for even small gardens and balconies.
- Did you know you can recycle plastic plant pots? Ask at your local garden centre.
- Choose peat-free compost.
- Grow your own fruit and veg. Even if you don’t have any outdoor space at all, salad will grow in a pot on a sunny window-sill.
- Keep your garden green - avoid decking, artificial lawn or paving your garden if you can.
Around the borough:
- Volunteer with Sutton Nature Conservation Volunteers who work to protect and enhance the borough’s biodiversity and wildlife.
- Visit the Sutton Ecology Centre based in Carshalton. They host a range of activities for children and adults throughout the year.
- Visit one of the borough’s many parks and consider joining your local ‘friends of’ group. Why not cycle or walk there?
- Is there a patch of public land you’d like to transform for wildlife? Get in touch and we’ll try to help you with permissions.