What you need to bring with you when registering a birth
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. We would like to thank you for your patience during the lockdown period.
If your baby is now more than 5 weeks old please contact us on 0208 770 4721 to book an appointment.
- the place and date of the baby's birth
- the baby's forenames, surname and gender
- the baby's parents' full names and their places of birth
- the baby's parents' usual address
- the baby's mother's maiden surname and any previous married surname
Please remember that the information you give us is very important and should be correct. You will be asked to check the information before you sign the register. Make sure you do this carefully. If mistakes are made for example in the spelling of names, it is difficult to change them later.
The General Register Office will charge a fee of up to £90 if a correction is requested after the register page has been signed.
The registrar will record the details and print a copy of the birth registration for you to check and sign.
Note: Please bring the discharge papers from the hospital or midwife or the child's red book.