Re-registration of a birth
Re-registering a birth happens when the natural father's details need to be added, or if mother and father get married, after the original birth certificate is created.
Some things you need to know
- re-registering a birth is the process of creating a new record in the birth register by the natural parents of the child
- re-registration can take place at any time, regardless of the age of the child, and may be done at any register office in England and Wales
- there is no charge for this service, but should the parents need to obtain a copy of the new birth certificate, normal fees will apply
- as some re-registration queries can be complex, all re-registrations are by appointment only - please use our online booking form
- any birth that takes place in Sutton can be re-registered at Sutton Register Office.
Adding father's details
If the natural parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth and the father did not attend with the mother to register the baby it is possible to re-register the birth at any time in the future to include the father's details in the registration.
To do this, both parents need to complete a form (which will have to be checked by staff at the Register Office), and then an appointment can be confirmed. The easiest way for the birth to be re-registered is for both parents to attend the register office together. Please complete the Re-register a birth form.
Showing the parents as married
If the natural parents have married each other since the birth was registered, the birth should be re-registered to accurately record the current legal status of the child. A form is available from the register office that must be signed by both parents and submitted to the office for checking. An appointment will then be made for the re-registration to take place. Either parent can then attend the register office. Copies of the full birth certificate showing the new details are available at a cost of £4 each at the time of re-registration.
What happens next
An appointment will then be made for the re-registration to take place. Either parent can then attend the register office.
Copies of the full birth certificate showing the new details are available at a cost of £4 each at the time of re-registration.