Ordering a copy certificate
Getting copies of certificates has never been easier. If you want to apply for a birth, death or marriage certificate, you can now order it online.
What you need to know:
- Important! You can only purchase copy birth certificates if the baby was born in the London Borough of Sutton.
- if the birth has originally been registered at Sutton within the last 3 months, please speak to a Registrar on 0208 770 6790 as the entry may still appear in the current register (therefore may only cost £7)
- the fee for a standard (or short, where relevant) birth, death or marriage certificate is £10
- copy certificates should be ordered from the register office where the event occurred
- if you cannot book online, you can apply in person or by telephone (Monday - Friday 9am - 4:30pm) with a debit or credit card ready when you call or visit
Searching for certificates
The following costs for certificates from any register office are:
- From a register which is completed £10
- From a register which is still in use £7
Sutton will post your certificate(s) within 5 working days. We can only issue certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships occurring within the borough boundaries. Waiting times for certificates from other register offices may vary.
A priority service is available to personal callers at the Register Office:
- £20 for a 24 hour priority service
- £30 for a 1 hour priority service