What you need to bring with you when registering a death
To arrange an appointment to register a death, please call our Customer Contact Centre on 0208 770 6790.
Please note, it is a legal requirement to register the death within 5 days unless the Coroner has been notified.
What the registrar will need from you when registering a death.
- medical certificate of the cause of death (signed by a doctor)
Not essential but if you do have them:
- birth certificate
- marriage/civil partnership certificates
- NHS medical card
Information the registrar will need to know
Please provide the following information:
- the person's full name at time of death
- any names previously used, including maiden surname
- the person's date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK and country if born abroad)
- their last address
- their occupation
- the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving spouse or civil partner
- whether they were receiving a state pension or any other state benefit
Current cost of death certificates
- the fee for a death certificate is £11
If you are unsure of any of the above requirements, please contact us.