New look website

Take a look at the beta version of our new look website. We’re keen to know what you think.

Take a look

Deaths and 'Tell us once'

Deaths and Tell Us Once

Sutton has introduced this service to help people inform government departments of a death. Once a death is registered, we can help you tell several other public organisations who also need to be given the same information.

Information you will need to use the service

It will help if you have with you the following information about the person who has died when you use the service:

  • Their date of birth and, if you have it, their National Insurance number 
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • The death certificate and/or Tell us Once service number provided by the registrar
  • Their driving licence number 
  • Their passport number and town/country of birth
  • Details of any Blue Badge
  • Dates of any recent stays in hospital, a hospice or care home

We may also ask you for the contact details for

  • Their next of kin 
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner 
  • The person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the permission of the persons listed above if you are going to provide information about them.

How you can contact us to use the service

Once you have registered the death with a registrar you will be given the Tell us Once service number. When you have that number, you can either inform the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) online or by phone.

Use the online 'Tell us once' service 

  • Use this form anytime, day or night
  • You will need the unique reference number provided by the registrar with you to use the service. 

Who gets informed of a death

Local council departments

  • Housing benefit office
  • Council tax
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Libraries
  • Electoral services
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult services
  • Children's services
  • Council housing

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

  • Pensions and benefits
  • Overseas health team

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal taxation

Identity and Passport Service

  • Passport

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

  • Driving Licence 

Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

  • War Pensions Scheme

Please note: this list of departments is subject to change and the most updated list can be found at - What to do after someone dies page.

How we will treat the information you give us

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and tax credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

The information you provide will be used to update records and will not be used to start a new claim. If want to make a new claim to any benefit you will need to contact the relevant organisation.

If you are next of kin 

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage/civil partnership to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and / or date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased's estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service as long as you have their permission to provide information about them and act on their behalf.

Privacy of information 

This service is committed to ensuring that the information provided is protected. Our privacy statement tells you how the information you provide when using this service will be used and protected. Ask the Adviser if you wish to see the full privacy statement or you can look it up on the website.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations, that pay you a benefit, Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit or provide a service to you, have correct and up to date information about you.