Marriages & civil partnerships - Ordering a copy certificate
Getting copies of certificates has never been easier. If you want to apply for a birth, death or marriage certificate, you can now order it online.
What you need to know:
- Important! You can only purchase copy marriage certificates if the marriage ceremony occurred in the London Borough of Sutton.
- if the marriage was originally registered at Sutton within
the last 3 months, please speak to a Registrar on 0208 770 6790 as the
entry may still appear in the current register (therefore may only cost
- the fee for a standard marriage certificate is £10
- if you cannot book online, you can apply in person or by
telephone (Monday - Friday 9am - 4:30pm) with a debit or credit card
ready when you call or visit
Searching for certificates
If you do not know, you can still contact your local register office and they will advise you on the next steps. The advice is free and may save you time and money.
The following costs for certificates from any register office are:
- from a register which is completed £10
- from a register which is still in use £7
Sutton will post your certificate(s) within 5 working days. We can only issue certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships occurring within the borough boundaries. Waiting times for certificates from other register offices may vary.
A priority service is available to personal callers at the Register Office (the following are additional fees which must be added to the normal cost of the copy certificate):
- £10 for a 24 hour priority service
- £20 for a 1 hour priority service