Recycling your plastics, glass, cans and cartons
You should have a green box (supplied with a black lid) to store your plastics, glass, cans and cartons.
Plastics, glass, cans and cartons are collected every two weeks (on alternate weeks to your paper and card). Use our postcode checker to view a collection timetable for your property.
What can you put in your green recycling box?
- Plastic bottles, tubs, trays and containers
- Glass jars and bottles
- Cans, tin foil and aerosols
- Liquid food and drink cartons (‘tetra packs’)
- Plastic bags or film
- Hard plastics (toys, buckets etc)
- General rubbish
Visit our A to Z of Recycling for more details of what can and cannot be recycled.
Good to know:
- if your green recycling box is missing or broken, you can request a replacement via our online form
- if you occasionally need extra recycling capacity for your mixed recycling (such as after a family gathering or party) you can put your plastics, glass, cans and cartons in plastic bags (please leave them untied), cardboard boxes or your own plastic boxes. Pop them next to your green recycling box on collection day and our crews will make sure it all gets recycled
- if you already have two green wheelie bins (because you were a particularly keen recycler under the old collection system) you can use one of your green wheelie bins for plastics, glass, cans and cartons and the other for paper and card. Just make sure you label the wheelie bins clearly so our collection crews know what’s inside
- remember to remove film lids from plastic pots, tubs and trays before putting them in the green recycling box (the film lids are not recyclable so need to go in your brown rubbish bin)
- empty and rinse all containers before putting them in the green box
- if you put the wrong item in your green recycling box, we will let you know by attaching an advisory notice to it. The offending item (or items) will usually be left behind for you to dispose of in other ways
- if you have difficulty using or moving the green recycling box, you may be eligible for an assisted collection. Please call us on 020 8770 5000 to discuss your needs
- you can also recycle batteries and textiles using the collection service. Leave batteries in an open plastic bag and textiles in a tied plastic bag next to your containers on collection day