Disposing of your non-recyclable general rubbish
You should have a brown wheelie bin to store your general rubbish (non-recyclable waste).
General rubbish is collected every two weeks. Use our postcode checker to view a collection timetable for your property.
What can you put in your brown wheelie bin?
- Any items that cannot be recycled
- Plastic bags
- Plastic film
- Disposable nappies
- Pet litter
- Dirty cardboard (e.g. pizza boxes)
- Shredded paper
- Tissue paper
- General rubbish
- Hazardous waste - asbestos, oil based paints, antifreeze, chemicals, petrol - please contact the City of London Hazardous Waste Service for details of how dispose of hazardous waste responsibly
- DIY and building waste
- Garden waste
- Any materials that can be recycled using your other bins including:
- Food waste (cooked and uncooked)
- Card and cardboard
- Plastic bottles, tubs, trays and containers
- Glass jars and bottles
- Aluminium/steel cans, tin foil and aerosols
- Liquid food and drink cartons (‘tetra packs’)
Visit our A to Z of Recycling for more details of what can and cannot be recycled.
Good to know:
- Each household should only have one brown wheelie bin.
- All non-recyclable rubbish must be placed inside the brown wheelie bin and the lid kept shut. Excess rubbish placed on top or next to your rubbish bin will not be collected.
- If you live in a household of five or more, or have a medical condition that means you generate additional rubbish, you may be eligible for a larger rubbish bin. Please call us on 020 8770 5000.
- If your brown wheelie bin is lost or stolen, you can request a replacement.
- If your rubbish doesn’t fit into the brown wheelie bin, you can take it for free to the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre at Kimpton Park Way, SM3 9QH. Visit Kimpton Park Way HRRC for further information and entry conditions.
- If you put the wrong item (such as DIY, building or hazardous waste) in your brown wheelie bin, we will let you know by attaching an advisory notice to it. The offending item (or items) will usually be left behind for you to dispose of in other ways.
- If you have difficulty using or moving the brown wheelie bin, you may be eligible for an assisted collection. Please call us on 020 8770 5000 to discuss your needs.