Other environmental issues

Odour pollution

Certain odours can be dealt with by Environmental Health under the statutory nuisance provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The Council will only be able to take action where it can be demonstrated that the odour is prejudicial to health or a nuisance. We are not able to deal with odours from domestic properties, such as cooking smells.

If you wish to report an odour, please contact the Pollution Control Team using the online enquiry form.

Make an neighbourhood nuisance enquiry here or by calling 020 8770 5000 or email environmentalhealth@sutton.gov.uk.

Please make a note of the day, time and the weather conditions. Please also try to describe the type of smell in order to help us identify the source.

If the odour is from the Sewage Treatment Works, the matter should also be reported to Thames Water on 0845 641 0030 as this can speed up the investigation.


Under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act, we may also be able to deal with nuisance caused by insects if coming from industrial, trade or business premises. More information on the type of issue that may be dealt with by this amendment