Plastic, Cans, Cartons and Glass
Always think about minimising waste before recycling. From reusable products to plastic free shopping, get some handy tips on our waste reduction page.
What we collect
- Plastic bottles, tubs, trays and containers
- Glass jars and bottles
- Cans, tin foil and aerosols
- Liquid food and drink cartons (‘tetra packs’)
- Plastic bags or film
- Hard plastics (toys, buckets etc)
- General rubbish
- You should have a green box (supplied with a black lid) to store your plastics, glass, cans and cartons.
- Plastics, glass, cans and cartons are collected every two weeks (on alternate weeks to your paper and card).
- If you occasionally need extra recycling capacity for your mixed recycling (such as after a family gathering or party) you can put your plastics, glass, cans and cartons in plastic bags (please leave them untied), cardboard boxes or your own plastic boxes. Pop them next to your green recycling box on collection day and our crews will make sure it all gets recycled.
- If you put the wrong item in your green recycling box, we won't be able to collect your recycling. We will let you know by attaching an advisory notice to it. Please remove the offending item (or items) and we will collect on your next scheduled collection day.
Flats with shared bins
- You will have a communal bin labelled ‘Plastic, Cans and Glass’.
- All blocks of flats receive a recycling and rubbish collection at least weekly.
- If the bin is full, please store your plastic, cans and glass inside your property until collection day as material left around the bins can prevent collection.
Managing Agents are responsible for providing space for bins in flats and for providing the bins; if you think you do not have enough bins for your block, please contact your Managing Agent
If you are a Managing Agent and you require more bins for your flats, contact us on 0208 770 5000 to discuss your requirements.
Houses with no space for bins - blue bag collection
- Houses that don’t have a space to store a bin have plastic, cans, cartons and glass collected in Sutton Council-branded blue bags.
- Your collection is every two weeks, alternating with your Paper and Card Clear bag collection.
- Please make sure your blue bags are presented in the agreed location, either:
- On the street outside your property on collection day
- Placed next to the nearest litter bin to your front door
Flats above shops
Flats above shops have different arrangements for recycling and waste collections. Have a look at our flats above shops waste and recycling guide.